LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Fuel tap/ fuel supply

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Fuel tap/ fuel supply

Postby Revvers » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:24 pm

Hello. I've been having a few issues since getting my scoot back from the painters, namely, some bead was left in the tank! So 2 things
1: I've cleaned the fuel pipe, carb filters, and petrol tap. When I am approaching high revs whilst going along, the bike seems to be running out of fuel, if I pull the clutch in and rev the engine, it clears but then comes back again. Is this still a particle issue or something else?
2: Is there an easy way of putting the fuel tap onto the tank? I'm struggling to maneuver it around my new silent block and trying to get a good seal? (I'm aware of the opposing threads !)
Cheers
Revvers

Re: Fuel tap/ fuel supply

Postby Knowledge » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:00 pm

The first issue might be a blocked air-bleed in the handle of the filler cap. If your tank isn't too full, try running the scooter with the cap off, and see if the problem goes away. If it does, try to unblock the air vent (fiddley).

The fuel tap is also fiddley. With two opposing threads, there is a certain sweet-spot where both threads catch. If you are really keen, try taking the tank out, fitting the tap and re-fitting the tank, but first you might like to try loosening the tank straps and rotating the tank to give a bit more clearance around the engine mounts.

Good luck.
Knowledge

Postby Revvers » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:13 pm

Many thanks
Revvers

Postby Revvers » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:19 pm

Ok. New fast flow fuel tap on. My problem is still there! Poodling along and then the engine will start to splutter like it is running out of fuel and start to slow down, pull the clutch in and rev, and the problem goes. Does this sound like blockage issue still?
Revvers

Postby Storkfoot » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:15 pm

Knowledge wrote:The first issue might be a blocked air-bleed in the handle of the filler cap.

Have you looked into this yet?
Storkfoot

Postby Revvers » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:28 am

Yes. Bought a new Casa one
Revvers

Postby IaninDorset » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:00 pm

You got a partial vapour lock or an air bubble in the line? Can be persistently annoying like you described and you should be able to clear it by flicking the fuel pipe to dislodge the bubble, with this warmish weather at the moment, its prime time for such.
IaninDorset

Postby Revvers » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:36 pm

Oh ok. I must say that I have seen an air bubble in the line but put it down to the inconsistency of a carburettor fuel supply. Thanks
Revvers

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3