LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Bleeding brakes

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Bleeding brakes

Postby Raveydavey » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:46 pm

Next challenge with this casa single disk: bleeding the brakes. I've followed the instructions. Banjos fitted and tightened, caliper removed; spanner put in between the calliper; reservoir topped up with new dot 4. Pumped the lever, its slack. As in it's not pumpin anything. I tried valiantly several 'pumps' unscrewing the bleed screw, while holding the lever in. I've been at this for an hour. The brake fluid hasn't gone down a bit.

I'd expect the lever to feel like it's pumping. Instead it's just flapping. Please tell me I'm doing something wrong and it's not a faulty lever.
Raveydavey

Re: Bleeding brakes

Postby steve t » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:35 pm

Hi push the piston in the calliper as far back as it will go ensure reservoir is topped up undo bleed nipple on calliper is loose gravity should do most of the work alternatively if you have a syringe try connecting it to bleed nipple with a piece of pipe and pull syringe to drag fluid down through system is it a handle bar mounted master and reservoir? Ps put something between the pads if shoving piston rite back
steve t

Postby Covboy » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:28 pm

hi - ive got the same disc - i opened the bleed nipple, topped up the reservoir , pumping the lever until fluid came out of the caliper. then nipped up the nipple.

I had to pump the lever a few times to get the rest of the air out, until the tiny bubbles stopped...the lever is firm now . Ready for a road test now
Covboy

Postby Raveydavey » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:51 pm

I came back to it this morning. Still no joy. I was suspicious of the lever (reservoir). Nothing seemed to happen when I pumped the lever. So I took off the banjo and unfastened the lever/ reservoir; still full of brake fluid, then pumped the lever while it was in my hand. At that point my hand should have been soaked. It wasn't.

I called Chiselspeed; send a couple of videos of the issue. Followed their suggestion of removing the lever to check the plunger return; conclusion: faulty! Luckily they have one in stock and are sending it out today (they really are a good bunch of guys; I highly recommend this retailer).

So in summary, frustrating start to my new bling disk, but with support of a good dealer, all sorted and soon to be back on track. :D
Raveydavey

Postby Toddy » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:13 pm

I always fill up from the bottom bleed nipple on calliper with a tube and syringe pushing all the air up works well and saves pushing the air down into the caliper
Toddy

Postby dickie » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:20 pm

Toddy wrote:I always fill up from the bottom bleed nipple on calliper with a tube and syringe pushing all the air up works well and saves pushing the air down into the caliper

Aye, that.
dickie

Postby berniek » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:16 am

Toddy wrote:I always fill up from the bottom bleed nipple on calliper with a tube and syringe pushing all the air up works well and saves pushing the air down into the caliper

So do i Toddy on normal bleed nipples, but the Casa has a different arrangement that would require some adaption to do so. Having said that my first casa disc bled up in literally a few mins with gravity and pumping from master cylinder.

Doing another today, hope is it as quick :)
berniek

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3