LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

seized engine bolt advice

Technical help for Lui, Vega, Cometa, J50, Cento, J125, Starstream.

seized engine bolt advice

Postby mickey c » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:32 am

Hi guys
I'm starting a resto on a Vega but not getting very far - the engine bolt is more stuck / seized than a stuck / sezied thing. I used about a can of WD40 and
previously I have found by tightening the nuts up against some big washers with a gap on the other side I've managed to free them up. However I've now stripped the threads on both sides! :cry: A lump hammer hasn't moved it a mm! But worried too much force will snap the engine mounts. I've tried a bit of heat and am now fully prepared to right off the silent blocks but before I just keep smacking away, I wondered if anyone has a top tip they could pass on please?
mickey c

Re: seized engine bolt advice

Postby Nobby » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:55 am

I had the same problem with my s1, even had a sledgehammer on it!

In the end I cut it flush and drilled it out - gradualy bigger holes till there was no meat on the bolt left- it was quite quick and easy!, the bolt was made of surprisingly soft metal !

Nobby

Postby mickey c » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:38 pm

thanks Nobby
I hadn't thought of that approach! given how easily my threads stripped, I hope my bolt is equally soft metal.
cheers again
Mike
mickey c

Postby 57Speedster » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:34 pm

WD40 doesn't work on steel bits which have rusted together.
A proper penetrating fluid like "PlusGas" works much better, as it creeps in and dissolves the rust. It does take a while to work, so I usually spray it on and leave overnight.
A bit of heat from a blowtorch always helps too.
57Speedster

Return to Luna & J Range