LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Wiring cable size

Technical help for Lui, Vega, Cometa, J50, Cento, J125, Starstream.

Wiring cable size

Postby 57Speedster » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:50 pm

Hi,
I need to replace some missing wiring on my 1964 Cento engine.
A previous owner butchered the wiring from the stator, so there's nothing to connect it to the main wiring loom.
All the electrics are factory spec 6 Volts, I just need to connect it to the stator.
I have the stator on the bench, and I can buy wire by the metre, all colours available.
However, I do not know the rating of these wires, especially the green coil wire, and the orange horn wire, (I'm pretty sure the lighting wires only carry just over 4 amps each, i.e. Watts divided by Volts = Amps).
Commonly available automotive PVC insulated wire is available with the following spec. :
1 sq.mm. (16 x 0.3 mm strands), rated at 8.75 Amps
2 sq.mm. (28 x 0.3 mm strands), rated at 17.5 Amps
I'm thinking the 2 sq.mm. will cover all requirements, but am concerned that it may be too thick to pass through the grey sleeving and the plate and grommet seal on the magneto housing, and the sleeved bundle also needs to be flexible.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Cheers
57Speedster

Re: Wiring cable size

Postby Digger » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:32 am

I use the modern thin wall stuff from these guys...

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/

The 11 amp .5 mm is what I use.
Digger

Postby 57Speedster » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:36 am

Thanks Digger. I've got stuff from Vehicle Wiring Products before, it has always been good.
11 Amp thin wall it shall be then, It will certainly helps where space is limited..
Do you find the modern thin wall cable is flexible enough ?
Cheers
57Speedster
57Speedster

Postby Digger » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:35 am

I've had no issues with it apart from attempting (and often failing) to convince 'old hands' that it's fit for purpose.
Digger

Postby 57Speedster » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:11 pm

Digger wrote:I've had no issues with it apart from attempting (and often failing) to convince 'old hands' that it's fit for purpose.

:lol: I'm definitely one of those.
Chalk me up as "convinced" though.
Thanks again
Cheers
57Speedster
57Speedster

Postby Wack » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:08 pm

I've made a few looms with thin wall and it's far better resulting in a smaller and lighter loom plus if you run auxiliaries and more wires are needed the loom is still no bigger than a standard one.
Wack

Postby 57Speedster » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:35 am

Wack wrote:I've made a few looms with thin wall and it's far better resulting in a smaller and lighter loom plus if you run auxiliaries and more wires are needed the loom is still no bigger than a standard one.

Thanks Wack,
I was just concerned about the flexibility, the wiring from stator to junction box is relatively short, and needs to flex with engine movement without putting strain on the junction box. The wires in the rest of my loom appear to be made-up of approx. 28 - 32 strands of fine 0.2 mm copper, (hard to count without my specs), this makes them nice and flexible. I was hoping to replicate the same flexibility, but that specification doesn't seem available now, in either conventional or thinwall wire. Maybe I'm worrying too much, I am going to use thinwall, if only so I don't have to struggle, feeding it through the sleeving.
Cheers
57Speedster
57Speedster

Return to Luna & J Range