LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

J-range fork springs & steering lock

Technical help for Lui, Vega, Cometa, J50, Cento, J125, Starstream.

J-range fork springs & steering lock

Postby Norm » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:49 pm

I'm in the process of stripping down my Cento, and I'm having trouble removing the fork springs.

Is there a special technique or tool to get them out? I've seen a regular Lambretta fork spring compressor - will this also fit a J-range?

Second question: how do I remove the steering lock? It's the elongated (not round) brass type. When I turn the key, I can push it halfway into the column enough that I can grab hold of it though the horn hole, but it doesn't seem to want to go any further.

Any tips gratefully received :)
Norm

Re: J-range fork springs & steering lock

Postby 57Speedster » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:11 pm

on my Cento and J50 forks, I was able to get the springs & piston rods out without a special tool, after removing the links and the buffers, it's fiddly but got there in the end. does yours have bolt-in or push-in buffers ?
Steering lock removal for the Brass type, put the key in, and unlock. remove the horn, or remove the headset, and with a bent coathanger, push-in the spring loaded pin in the top of the lock barrel, (the pin sits in a hole in a lug at the inside end of the Lock housing), the pull the lock barrel out with the key.
57Speedster

Postby Norm » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:17 pm

Thanks - I managed to remove the lock in the way you mentioned.

But no joy on the fork springs, they are stuck fast. The buffers are the push-in type, and have so much pressure on them from the springs, I can't see how they will budge. I see that Rimini list a special Casa tool for J-range fork springs, I might just have to bite the bullet...
Norm

Postby Wack » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:53 pm

Surely the springs can't be that strong that you can't hook a ring spanner over the link to raise it? Another way to lift the link is to use one of those small ratchet straps from the pound shop hooked around the fork at the top and on the link.
Wack

Postby Norm » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:07 pm

Thanks - I like the sound of the ratchet strap, I'll give it a go.
Norm

Postby 57Speedster » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:58 pm

I had a look at some pictures of that spring compressor tool her : http://www.scooterrestorations.com/lamb ... ompressor/
Doesn't look too complicated, could possibly be fabricated at home, i.e make-up a lever with the shaped end to fit between the link ball and the spring, then flat steel bar to wrap around, and drill to line up with the link bolt holes, weld a captive nut on the outside, and screw a bolt into the holes, and heave.
I will have a go and post the result.
57Speedster

Postby Norm » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:36 pm

I gave up with the ratchet strap, and have managed to find the correct tool from Rimini:
http://www.riminilambrettacentre.com/Ar ... 675acce599

I'll report back once I've given it a try...
Norm

Postby 57Speedster » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:18 pm

That's an unusual tool, I've never seen one like that before, and at 25 Euros, doesn't seem so bad if it saves you from trapped fingers and scratched paintwork.
Would be very interested to hear how it works.
57Speedster

Return to Luna & J Range