LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

vintage lambrettas, perfect recon, or slight update?

Technical help for all early models, A, B, C, LC, D, LD, E & F models

vintage lambrettas, perfect recon, or slight update?

Postby kjhazlehurst » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:26 pm

Hi, I'm kev, starting a full recon and recommission of a D125 any day now ( soon as shed sorted ).
Want to do it historical correct, but keep getting tempted to tune up and alter a few bits, never done a scoot as old as this before.
It will be for shows only so slow doesn't really matter, but will more power make it easier to sell on when I'm finished with it, or will it put folk off as it won't be 100% authentic?
On one hand I want to do it as it left factory on the other I want to mod it with some chrome, whitewalls, poss a none standard colour, maybe minus butty box ? ? ?
Discuss :?
kjhazlehurst

Re: vintage lambrettas, perfect recon, or slight update?

Postby Digger » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:43 pm

I don't think that power will be at the forefront of anyone's mind if they are interested in a D.

If it is they will probably be thinking about grafting in a lump from a later model.
Digger

Postby dickie » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:48 pm

I agree with digger and if it were me buying, I'd be looking for originalit, including paint code.
dickie

Postby kjhazlehurst » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:18 pm

Cheers guys, know your right, nice to check others opinion.
kjhazlehurst

Postby ricey » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:25 pm

All original or not at all in my book :)
Starting to mess with non standard parts and especially colors on something like a model d and your sure to bring down the value.people who want open framed models aren't buying them to go fast on.
Keep it at near to factory standard as you can ( please ) there's not that many left.
Only my opinion , but hope it helps :D
ricey

Postby Steve J » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:48 pm

Ld & D engines are fairly fragile at the best of times - early 125 engines are even more fragile. Increasing the power output? Unless you've got a good supply of spares, don't even think about it!
Steve J

Postby Scooter Paul » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:54 am

All original and as good as you can get. These are fun machines but only have monetary value if original. Period accessories, if genuine, do add value.

Paul
Scooter Paul

Postby Belplasca » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:21 am

My 1952 D125 has been repainted in the dim and distant past in a fleck-effect beige colour with black frame tubes.

It's pretty tidy, with only a couple of paint chips with the original colour showing through. I plan to leave it exactly as it is...

If I were to go to the expense of re-finishing in an original colour, I would never get the cost back in added value to the bike.

So, total originality is less important to me than integrity. This bike has history. I don't mind it showing it!

Bob
Belplasca

Return to Pre 57