LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

'53 rebuild and first start up

Technical help for all early models, A, B, C, LC, D, LD, E & F models

'53 rebuild and first start up

Postby jdevane5 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:09 pm

Just got my 53 running and have a couple of issues;

1. The kickstart rotates slowly when in neutral clockwise then starts rattling.
I was going to try a thicker starter case gasket -Anyone had this issue / how did you resolve. Thanks

2.Clutch engagement, not getting any. How much does the clutch level at engine need to move? -Its moving about 10mm right now and still no engagement.
It does not seem to move much anyway?? Will keep adjusting but any pointers would be excellent.

3.Correct way to set up carb mixture /idle?

As usual any help appreciated -Thanks
jdevane5

Re: '53 rebuild and first start up

Postby jbcollier » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:20 pm

1) Sounds like the kickstart mech is not fully retracted. Take it apart and make sure it is not sticking. Lube it with light grease.

2) Do you mean clutch engagement or disengagement? Disengaged, or released, is so you can shift or idle in gear. Engagement is when the clutch connects the engine to the transmission. So is not engaging/driving? Or not disengaging/releasing so you can shift.

3 Idle mix screw is actually an idle air screw but we'll call it an idle mix screw so you don't confuse it with the idle speed screw. In/clockwise is richer. Out/counter-clockwise is leaner. Start at 1.5T counter-clockwise from lightly seated. Adjust idle speed screw to get an acceptable idle. Adjust idle mix screw out a quarter turn at a time until the idle speed slows. Go back in to fastest idle speed + 1/4 turn in. Readjust idles speed screw to an acceptable idle. Rev the engine both at a stop and try starting out in first. Engine runs and accelerates well? You're good. Engine falters on acceleration? Turn the idle mix screw in a 1/4 turn at a time until it will accelerate cleanly from a stop.
jbcollier

Postby jdevane5 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:34 pm

Thanks alot jbcollier, your pointers have really helped as usual.

I sorted the clutch, I had just not adjusted it enough at the engine end and just put some more tension in the cable and was able to get in gear.
Will take a look at the kickstart.

Overall its running really well, the varitronic was a great move.

Cheers
JD
jdevane5

Postby jbcollier » Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:53 pm

Happily run Variatronic myself as well.
jbcollier

Postby jdevane5 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:10 pm

Jb collier, went out on the road for the first time tonight and still having an issue shifting into 2& 3 gear.
1st gear is fine.

There is not much adjustment left on the cable lever at engine end and my scoot has no adjustment at the handlebar.
Should I take the 19mm nut off the clutch and tighten up the second 8mm nut?

I just managed to find an old Pitmans book of the Lambretta which should help me out.

Thanks
JD
jdevane5

Postby jbcollier » Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:03 pm

Set up the clutch as per the manual and then see where you are. There is also an adjustment for gear engagement. Hard to say much more without a thorough description of what exactly are the issues you are having.
jbcollier

Postby jdevane5 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:40 pm

Setup the clutch per the book instruction and its better.
My main issue now is operating the gears, its just not a smooth operation and very stiff.

I can get into 1st gear (although there is a very slight click when it drops into gear).
I can get into second but not easily - and third is very difficult.

The gear selection at the handle bars is not easy to move, especially going from 3rd to 1st,feels very notchy and tight.

I have tried rotating the gear selector unit at engine end slightly to remove any engagement/noise issue and have checked where the roller is within the gear selector profile.

Is the teleflex routing important? I had a look and its positioned to go around the rear brake bracket instead of a more smoother route through the bracket -My thought pattern was to attempt to make the routing smoother for the teleflex and this would help in engagement and smooth operation at handlebars.
jdevane5

Postby jbcollier » Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:23 pm

Hmm, I can't help you with how a tele-flex equipped D should feel as mine is a later model with a twin-cable shifter. Hopefully someone with one will chime in.

I would start by shifting it by hand at the selector box. If it is still stiff then it's not the cable.

Cable routing is important and sharp bends add considerable friction. Is the cable well oiled?
jbcollier

Postby jdevane5 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:25 pm

After a lot of adjustment I have the scooter changing gear well and have taken it on a few short runs.
I'm surprised at the power drop from 2nd to 3rd.

I have the varitronic set at 19 degrees, I may adjust as the power in 2nd feels restricted, then you go into 3rd and it really drops in revs and feels like it takes for ever to get back up to speed.

First time on a LD125 so not sure if what I'm experiencing with the 2nd to 3rd is standard for this scooter.

Anyway happy to be on the road.
jdevane5

Postby jbcollier » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:11 pm

Now that I can say is perfectly normal :-)

There is a huge gap between 2nd and 3rd. It's not an easy gap to bridge. Unfortunately there is no solution either, just the nature of the beast.

Regarding timing, you can go more if it is a stock engine.

Remember this is a two stroke engine that was designed in early 50s. They really didn't know what they were doing.
jbcollier

Postby Steve J » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:54 am

jbcollier wrote:Remember this is a two stroke engine that was designed in early 50s. They really didn't know what they were doing.

By today's standards, you're probably right - low power output, narrow power band and only 3 gears...

The main priorities in the early 1950s were to sell large quantities of machines that provided basic mobility on poor road surfaces at a low price, and which returned well over 100 mpg if driven carefully. A different set of requirements - the numbers sold indicate they did have some clue as to what they were doing.
Steve J

Return to Pre 57