LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Butty Box lock

Technical help for all early models, A, B, C, LC, D, LD, E & F models

Butty Box lock

Postby nickw » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:27 pm

Hi
I have been lucky to get hold of a rather nice D150. One question does the rear butty box have a key number. I have the lock but no key. I cannot find a number so is the key a generic one? I have also seen accessory fork dampeners on eBay. I haven't been able to ride the scoot yet but wondered if these were worth getting.
Thanks for any help
nickw

Re: Butty Box lock

Postby jbcollier » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:06 pm

You could buy a key blank and take it and the lock to a locksmith. However, replacement locks are inexpensive,

I fit S3 dampers to mine. Welded on the upper mounts and modified the bolt on lowers to suit. It's useful on my modified D but stock Ds go so slow it would be of questionable value.
jbcollier

Postby nickw » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:33 pm

Thanks. Think I'll leave the shocks until I've had a good ride.
nickw

Postby Big Al » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:33 am

Like you Nick, I didn't have any keys and my lock didn't have a number on it.
I have been trying to keep as many working original parts as I can on the scooter so instead of paying £20 plus £5 postage for a shiny new lock and two keys, I took the original lock to a good local locksmith.
For £20 he cut two Italian Silva keys for me to operate the lock. Maybe not original keys, but at least I can still use the original lock.
Big Al

Postby nickw » Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:01 pm

Excellent, thanks. I'm keeping the original look so a new lock would not look good even if 'aged'. I shall try a locksmith as also recommended by JB. Good to know someone else had same problem.
nickw

Return to Pre 57