LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Fuel tank

Technical help for all early models, A, B, C, LC, D, LD, E & F models

Fuel tank

Postby GianfraCh » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:36 pm

hello!

Does anyone recommend a good product to deep clean fuel tank? or a method that works well to remove the rust? Thanks!
GianfraCh

Re: Fuel tank

Postby Lord-Spanner » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:39 am

I did mine with a box of sharp screws (had in the shed) and hot soapy water, it came out very good too, or you can get a 2 or 3 stage kit I believe that puts a permanent coating on the inside of the tank, I'm sure some else will point you in the right direction :mrgreen:
Lord-Spanner

Postby Tractorman » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:09 am

I used a POR 15 kit with excellent results on several tanks. The kit contains all you need to clean out the tank and then seal it.
Tractorman

Postby GianfraCh » Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:01 pm

Lord-Spanner wrote:I did mine with a box of sharp screws (had in the shed) and hot soapy water, it came out very good too, or you can get a 2 or 3 stage kit I believe that puts a permanent coating on the inside of the tank, I'm sure some else will point you in the right direction :mrgreen:

Thank you!
GianfraCh

Postby GianfraCh » Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:02 pm

Tractorman wrote:I used a POR 15 kit with excellent results on several tanks. The kit contains all you need to clean out the tank and then seal it.

Thank you for the info I will take a look at that.
GianfraCh

Postby jbcollier » Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:55 pm

I have put small, clean nuts into a tank, wrapped it in a large beach towel, taped it up and run it in the drier. Works very well.

Muriatic acid is super aggressive and cleans out everything in a short time but it leaves a raw surface that instantly rusts again unless you coat it right away. Muriatic acid is available from paint shops.

Molasses contains phosphoric acid. Some concrete cleaners have it as well. It not only cleans out the rust it also leaves the surface coated so it doesn't rust. Using molasses takes a week or two. Concrete cleaner much quicker but phosphoric acid has been removed from concrete cleaners in some jurisdictions. Check the contents before using.

Also have heard good things about the various tank cleaning/coating systems. Read online reviews before choosing which one you go with.
jbcollier

Postby GianfraCh » Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:08 am

jbcollier wrote:I have put small, clean nuts into a tank, wrapped it in a large beach towel, taped it up and run it in the drier. Works very well.

Muriatic acid is super aggressive and cleans out everything in a short time but it leaves a raw surface that instantly rusts again unless you coat it right away. Muriatic acid is available from paint shops.

Molasses contains phosphoric acid. Some concrete cleaners have it as well. It not only cleans out the rust it also leaves the surface coated so it doesn't rust. Using molasses takes a week or two. Concrete cleaner much quicker but phosphoric acid has been removed from concrete cleaners in some jurisdictions. Check the contents before using.

Also have heard good things about the various tank cleaning/coating systems. Read online reviews before choosing which one you go with.

Thanks for the info JB,

The quickest one I have access to is the Nuts and the drier.. do you only put the nuts and thats it? how long do you leave it? and do you do something else after you remove the nuts?
GianfraCh

Postby jbcollier » Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:00 pm

Remove the petcock and cap, put in a good handful of nuts and then tape up the holes. Wrap it in a towels, etc and then run it for 20 minutes. Open it up and check, and proceed from there.

Don't use anything larger than 6mm/1/4". Larger nuts may leave dents!

Generally you could then just swish it out the debris with mixed fuel. It doesn't leave the surfaces raw like muriatic acid does.
jbcollier

Return to Pre 57