LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

1955 Model D150 - Control cables

Technical help for all early models, A, B, C, LC, D, LD, E & F models

1955 Model D150 - Control cables

Postby Big Al » Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:00 pm

I would appreciate some help in identifying the set of control cables I bought as a combined bunch back in 2015!
The rear brake cable is no problem, but I have 6 others.
3 have small soldered nipples but varying lengths (a) 170cm outer cable, (b) 175cm and (c) 178cm.
2 have large soldered nipples but different lengths: (d) 134cm and (e) 145cm.
There is also a short cable (f) with a very small nipple at each end, 30cm long, which I think might only be needed on an LD (perhaps for the self starter?), not my D.
All the measurements above are the grey outer cable only.
Big Al

Re: 1955 Model D150 - Control cables

Postby Big Al » Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:31 am

I think (a) is for the throttle, (b) the top gear change cable and (c) the bottom gear change cable on the casing.
The cables with the large nipples to fit the hand levers are probably (d) front brake and (e) clutch.
The short cable (f) might be for the choke on an LD perhaps?
Big Al

Postby Big Al » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:57 pm

I had no trouble fitting the front brake and clutch cables, although the clutch inner cable left after it has passed through the trunnion on the clutch lever seems very, very close to the clutch cover. It would have to be trimmed to within less than an inch of the trunnion to prevent it rubbing on the painted cover. Perhaps that's normal, as there seemed to be only one position for fitting the clutch lever.

The rear brake outer is clearly too long, but the seller has told me that it fits several models which require different lengths, so I am now quite happy to trim this, a little at a time until it gives a smooth run without a huge loop under the engine. My parts book shows two alloy cable supports for the legshield bars, to hold cables away from the hot silencer. At least one is for the rear brake cable, but what is the other one for? I have a speedo cable as well, so perhaps it's for this? (Positions not shown in parts book)

While the throttle cable seems to fit pretty well, the two gear cables seem to balloon towards the rider at the handlebars, and I think I will need to trim these as well. I will try them as they are to start with.
Every photo I look at seems to show a different way of running the various cables, with even the experts using alternative routes to each other, and different clips, so I am not going to lose any sleep over this!!

I'm not sure who came up with the idea of running the two gear cables (and possibly the throttle cable??) through a grommet in the back of the legshield, but it was not a good one.
Big Al

Postby jbcollier » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:22 pm

Cable routing on a D150:

(No, I didn't fit them all through the leg shield grommet)
Last edited by jbcollier on Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jbcollier

Postby jbcollier » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:36 pm

You can see the retaining clips in this photo (I stole off the web):

jbcollier

Postby Big Al » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:54 am

Many thanks once again John.
I have now fitted the legshields and managed to pass the throttle and both gear cables through the hole with the grommet in place.
All cable now operate, except the gear cables. I need to trim them both, but must first make sure I have correctly identified each one, as I can see that the outers need to be different lengths.
Big Al

Postby nickw » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:02 pm

Excellent pictures, thank you from me too. Very helpful
nickw

Return to Pre 57