LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

LD150 1957 Ignition issue?

Technical help for all early models, A, B, C, LC, D, LD, E & F models

LD150 1957 Ignition issue?

Postby GianfraCh » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:56 pm

So I have changed condenser, HT coil.. Lead and new spark plug with correct gap.

I am having trouble to start the bike, this didn't happen before with old HT and condenser, I check for spark and I see is a little bit weak, I have properly fitted the cable and it makes a spark but not as constant. So I have tried 2 leads and one wasnt working but the next was... after a lot of kicks I managed to get run it but as soon as I let go of the throttle, it switches off..

I am thinking of putting my old HT. coil back and try again, maybe the HT I bought is not working properly? I checked the old lead with the new HT and it wasnt working, and the new Lead with the new HT coil was giving me a very weak spark

I didnt move the timing or magneto, I made sure the woodruff key was in place when I changed the condenser, but I now notice that the fly wheel has very very very small play between the flywheel and the woodruff.. could that be messing around with my timing? before the bike ran well until it got warm and it would switch off when warm, but for starting it never had any issue..

I have cleaned carb completely and tank and new hose, new fuel tap...Im going crazy here, cant understand what can it be.. I am hoping is the HT coil gving me a weak spark.. I would appreciate some help ,thank you!
GianfraCh

Re: LD150 1957 Ignition issue?

Postby GianfraCh » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:15 pm

So today I have changed the HT coil back to the old one and I did notice a better spark, took me about 4-5 kicks to run it and then it stay on for a bit but wasnt really accelerating at all and then switch off.. couldnt turn it back on again,

after I switched to the old HT coil, I removed the flywheel and sprayed the contacts with contact cleaner and a bit a 1000 grit sand paper, wiggled the cables a bit and made sure they were connected which they seem to.. the new condenser is fitted and cables are not touching anything more than the tip of the condenser so is not shorting.... after that I now saw I have no spark at all.. I am not sure what can be wrong in there. Could it maybe be the contact points??

Thanks for any help
GianfraCh

Postby jbcollier » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:23 pm

When you cleaned the points with sandpaper, it probably left grit between the points preventing contact. Clean the points with a piece of clean, white paper. Repeat until the paper is clean afterwards.
jbcollier

Postby GianfraCh » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:31 pm

jbcollier wrote:When you cleaned the points with sandpaper, it probably left grit between the points preventing contact. Clean the points with a piece of clean, white paper. Repeat until the paper is clean afterwards.

Right.. I will try to do that next. Thanks JB.
GianfraCh

Postby GianfraCh » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:40 pm

Okay definiely cleaning the contacts well with paper helped, swtiched on now! But does not want to accelerate. Here a link for a video to show what the issue is, anyone would know if it's carb?

https://we.tl/t-wALnJ5whY9
GianfraCh

Postby jbcollier » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:44 pm

OMG, that transfer site had about 1500 parasitic ad hosts and trackers. Not a good idea.

It is definitely bogging. Your carb "looks funny" from the very, very brief glimpse of it on the video. Please post photos of the carb so we can see what's up.
jbcollier

Postby jbcollier » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:45 pm

You can send photos to me if you have no other way of posting and I'll put them up.
jbcollier

Postby GianfraCh » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:52 pm

jbcollier wrote:You can send photos to me if you have no other way of posting and I'll put them up.

JB, hehe sorry about the link, was just we-transfer site.

Anyways, yes I have managed! the bike runs really well now, does not switch off, went around my area and performs very well.

I cleaned the contacts first and it was doing the same, after that I then put again the new HT coil and it ran! and worked perfectly, the problem was definitely the HT and the dirty points.

Also cleaned the jet on the carb again, and refitted the hose on the airfilter

I have now adjusted the the mixture screw and speed and idles very good and responds well.

Thank you for your help !! I will send you the photos next time for posting if anything. thank you!
GianfraCh

Return to Pre 57