LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

model B jumping out of gear

Technical help for all early models, A, B, C, LC, D, LD, E & F models

model B jumping out of gear

Postby Thackers » Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:02 pm

Hi, can anyone give me some advice on my model B jumping out of 2nd gear? I've replaced the gear for a N.O.S cog as the three dogs were worn but that hasn't cured it. I have tried adjusting the selector housing box fully both ways but the problem still persists. Could it be the Teleflex cable? I dont see how that could cause the jump but i'm about out of ideas.
Please help if you can.
Thanks
Thackers

Re: model B jumping out of gear

Postby jbcollier » Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:33 am

Unfortunately, both parts wear. Check the slider and see how its teeth are. If they are worn and now angled, it will keep slipping.
jbcollier

Postby Thackers » Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:02 pm

jbcollier wrote:Unfortunately, both parts wear. Check the slider and see how its teeth are. If they are worn and now angled, it will keep slipping.

Hi Thank you for the reply. 8-) 8-)
When you say "slider" is that the cog that the three dogs go into? could it be called the neutral gear? as i've seen these advertised, Please forgive my lack of know how on this.
Is this the part you refer to?
Perhaps this might be easier to pinpoint the part

Thackers

Postby jbcollier » Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:27 pm

Take it apart and examine the where the "dogs" engage. They need to be crisp and true. They usually wear making a slanted surface which allows/pushes the gear to pop out of engagement. A good machine shop might be able to grind things true again, or, even better, under cut them. This creates a "reverse slant" which pulls the gears into engagement.
jbcollier

Postby Thackers » Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:02 pm

jbcollier wrote:Take it apart and examine the where the "dogs" engage. They need to be crisp and true. They usually wear making a slanted surface which allows/pushes the gear to pop out of engagement. A good machine shop might be able to grind things true again, or, even better, under cut them. This creates a "reverse slant" which pulls the gears into engagement.

So which part are you calling the slider? I have already replaced the 2nd gear so it's dogs are in good shape.
Thanks
Thackers

Postby jbcollier » Mon Aug 14, 2023 1:06 pm

Here is the D gearbox. It is similar to the B box which is good enough for discussion purposes. When it is slipping out of gear, the mating "notches" (called "dogs") have worn so that pressure forces them apart. BOTH parts wear so you need to change both the gear and whatever it engages. Changing just the gear will not solve the problem and, worse, the new gear will quickly wear out as it is having extreme pressure applied to a small area.

jbcollier

Postby Thackers » Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:23 am

Thank you 8-)
Thackers

Return to Pre 57