LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Wassell regulators

Technical help for all early models, A, B, C, LC, D, LD, E & F models

Wassell regulators

Postby rlpembridge » Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:24 pm

I previously asked a question here about improving the lighting on my Ld b MkIII - 'Steve J' replied then with reference to use of a Wassell regulator. I did get my magneto remagnetised (by Patch at Scooter Surgery - who has an original Marelli device for the job, for the 4 pole flywheel).
I have lately sourced LED festoons for the tail lamp & stop lamp (the latter of which I have added) and a Wassell regulator. My problem is how to wire it in? The diagrams supplied - for BSA machines - are less than helpful (on-line research indicates that several users claim it isn't even correct for their BSA's).
The Wassell regulator has Red, Yellow, Green & Black wires - can anyone assist with which wires to connect these to in my Ld b harness?
I have obtained a 15 amp in-line fuse, as directed in the instructions.
Thanks,

Richard
rlpembridge

Re: Wassell regulators

Postby jbcollier » Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:51 pm

Red is regulated output (to harness, DC but can be 6V or 12v)

Black is ground (to chassis)

Green and Yellow are input from the stator.

15A ??!! What are you planning on doing, welding with it? Fuses have two ratings: continuous and blow. A 15 amp continuous will blow at 35 or so amps. A 15 amp blow fuse will run 5 to 7 amp continuous. So you can see there is a BIG difference between a 15a continuous and 15A blow fuse. SFE and AGC fuses are continuous ratings, their blow rating is MUCH higher. Lucas fuses are usually blow rated. So, if a British bike needs a 15A fuse, it is really a 5A - 7A fuse in SFE and AGC ratings. Make sure you have the right fuse or your wiring will melt if there is an issue.

Are you running a battery? Did the scoot originally have a battery? Can you post a link to your scoot's original wiring diagram?
jbcollier

Postby rlpembridge » Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:10 pm

Thanks for the speedy response, JBC.
Yes, a 15amp fuse is what the Wassell instructions specify and I did think it far exceeded any power surge my Ld could ever produce; simple enough to substitute a 5a fuse in its place.
I would attach a copy of the wiring diagram with battery for my Ld b - which was built as a ('b' for batteria), battery model - but when I attempt to do so, the message,'Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached', appears
I have amended my diagram to correct the nomenclature of the legend (which was so obviously wrong) and I've also added connections for my Stop Lamp.
If I can send / share this by some other means, please advise.
rlpembridge

Postby rlpembridge » Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:15 pm

Last edited by rlpembridge on Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rlpembridge

Postby jbcollier » Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:20 pm

Please send me directly the scoot's wiring diagram and the Wassail's instructions.

JbCoLLier
(AT)
sHaW
(DOT)
Ca

all lower case, no spaces
jbcollier

Postby jbcollier » Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:21 pm

Are you keeping the battery? Staying 6V? Anything else?
jbcollier

Postby rlpembridge » Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:34 pm

Yes, keeping the battery (much good may it be) and all as a 6v system.
rlpembridge

Postby jbcollier » Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:00 pm

jbcollier

Postby jbcollier » Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:19 pm

Your regulator is for a generator, not an alternator. You need 6V rectifier/regulator for a single phase alternator. Here is an example:

https://www.jrcengineering.com/technica ... gle-phase/

This will give you 6VDC output. You can run your system and charge a battery. You will have to replace the horn with a DC version. The simplest way forward would be to go 6VAC with no battery. Then you just fit a 6VAC regulator like this:

https://www.scooterwest.com/vintage-ves ... reg6v.html

Your original horn will work and no batteries to curse. It will mean dim lights when stopped.
jbcollier

Postby rlpembridge » Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:31 pm

Sorry, posted before seeing your latest reply. So my Wassell regulator is not fit for purpose?
rlpembridge

Postby jbcollier » Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:35 pm

The particular one you bought is for a generator and won't work with what you have.
jbcollier

Postby Steve J » Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:11 pm

Well, as I made the original reference to the fitting of a Wassell regulator on an LD (back in 2018), maybe I should make it clear that I was talking about a 12 volt conversion using a pair of stator coils from a 12 volt electric start AVV LD. That particular Wassell regulator is a modern replacement for the original plate rectifier and electromechanical regulator used on the AVV machines, and also works well on the later GPs with a 12 volt AC system. It's not suitable for 6 volt systems, unfortunately!
Steve J

Return to Pre 57