LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Can you fit a speedometer to a model c

Technical help for all early models, A, B, C, LC, D, LD, E & F models

Can you fit a speedometer to a model c

Postby johncas » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:43 am

Hello I'm a new member and have just brought a lambretta model c and wanted to know if you could fit a speedometer I have see people have done it but I don't want to spend a fortune on it
johncas

Re: Can you fit a speedometer to a model c

Postby ladsdad » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:18 pm

Hi

Yes you can fit a speedo to a model c, various after market were available back in the day as you can imagine. I have a smiths set up on my c which is driven by an external gear pressed on the front hub. As far as getting hold of one goes, my advice would be to keep your eyes peeled on eBay as the speedo, cable & drive do come up from time to time but unfortunately the hub gears are like hens teeth , so either have one made or grow old waiting for one to turn up.

Cheers Mark.
ladsdad

Postby johncas » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:53 am

The smiths d spedo is on eBay but £140 bit to much but there are cheaper Smiths replicas with drive and cables there the round ones and you can also get the reproduction model d round speedo the one that goes on the steering column would those work I'm sure I saw somewhere that someone had fitted one I can get a model d speedo drive but I take it there incompatible withita c
johncas

Postby johncas » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:54 pm

There are replica smiths speedos on eBay but it dose not say which bikes there for but you do get the speedo cables and drivgear.

what drivgear dose the d speedo use so I know what to look out for as the smiths d is the only one they don't make a replica of
johncas

Postby jbcollier » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:48 pm

If you just want to know how fast you are going, and are not bothered about having a minor modern bit on your C, you can fit a bicycle computer. They are cheap, easy to mount and very, very accurate.

John
jbcollier

Postby johncas » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:51 pm

There is a vintage analogue one on eBay I'm going for looks retro to runs using a wheel drivgear I always thought that the modern ones needed spokes on the wheel to attach the sensor to
johncas

Postby jbcollier » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:11 pm

You can just glue the magnet and tie the sensor to the fork. Period looks better.
jbcollier

Return to Pre 57