LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

LD Glve box hour clock

Technical help for all early models, A, B, C, LC, D, LD, E & F models

LD Glve box hour clock

Postby Bettagetabrettabolti » Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:31 pm

Chaps
Anybody know of someone who repairs the wind up clocks that were an accessory on LD models and were fitted to the small glove box?
Also, with the the LDA gearbox oil fill - do I leave the oil at the filler pug level or add the extra quarter pint as spoken of in some manuals. Seems to defeat the object of the level plug to me.
Cheers
Bolti
Bettagetabrettabolti

Re: LD Glve box hour clock

Postby Steve J » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:17 pm

As I mentioned in the other thread about AVV gearbox levels, the non-electric start models had the level plug in two different positions. Early models had the plug at the bottom of the clutch cover, and later models had it on the side of the clutch cover to provide the greater oil capacity. I believe it's the early non-electric start models which can take the extra 1/4 pint of oil - presumably because the outer rim of the clutch bell is fairly smooth, and doesn't churn up the oil too much. The gear ring on the outer edge of the AVV's clutch bell would tend to churn the oil, and probably create extra drag - especially as the clutch bell on the D/LD spins at around 75% of crankshaft speed. I seem to remember reading that adding extra oil to the gearbox is not a good idea due to the teeth on the clutch bell throwing the oil around. (I just wish I could remember where I read it!)

If you do send out your wind-up glovebox clock for repair, just make sure it's insured against loss......
Steve J

Re: LD Glve box hour clock

Postby Knowledge » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:47 am

Bettagetabrettabolti wrote:Chaps
Anybody know of someone who repairs the wind up clocks that were an accessory on LD models and were fitted to the small glove box?
Bolti

I know nothing of this subject, but if it is a wind-up mechanism, wouldn't it be something that any watch/clock repairer (horologist) could tackle? I appreciate that a watch repairer will never have seen an LD clock before, but I bet that can be said for many items brought through his/her door.

Perhaps it is time to trust an expert who knows nothing about scooters.
Knowledge

Return to Pre 57