LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Calambity in Morro Bay, California

Promote Rallies from around the world.

Calambity in Morro Bay, California

Postby GP Kevo » Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:56 am

Hey everyone,

My friends and I decided to ride to a rally in Morro Bay, about 200 miles north of Los Angeles. I took enough time off for it. I replaced the gearbox endplate the day before, of course. My two mates, Dean and Ben, rode up from Carson to my garage in Santa Monica and we rode together on the 10 freeway to the Pacific Coast Highway, US Highway 1, Dean on his cast iron 225 Jet 200, Ben on his Silver Special Li 150 with CP SSR 265 super engine, and myself with my aging TS1. From there we headed north and it wasn't long until problems began.

My mate, Dean, is always working on other people's scooters and as he also works full time, had no time to work on his own scooter. His kept seizing and even stripping the top end and cleaning up the single ring and groove only helped temporarily. He eventually had to be recovered home leaving Ben and I to continue our ride. My engine did alright and did well keeping up with the fast pace that Ben had set.

Aside from a pretty bad air leak, from loosening intake manifold screws and nuts, my scooter made it up and I think would have made it back down to LA had Dean not made it to the rally in his trusty Honda Element, towing his scooter on a 3 motorbike trailer which we of course made use of for a relaxed drive home. After all, the whole point of the weekend was for 3 friends to spend time together.

I recorded many hours of riding videos and have made a playlist out them:https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLrMfQB68MODJEeLAJnIi8DmrJ-qo2ya0N&si=u9NKgnuRmOstm_VU if you enjoy watching this fly on the helmet sort of stuff.
GP Kevo

Re: Calambity in Morro Bay, California

Postby WOODY » Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:32 pm

Morro Bay is a great place for a rally i was there a couple of years ago but didn't see any scooters
WOODY

Postby GP Kevo » Fri Oct 06, 2023 6:25 pm

Morro Bay really is nice, as you know. Most of the scooterists up that way live pretty close by, in San Luis Obispo. I've looked for jobs up there, but no luck, but I may keep trying. It would be nice not to have to ride through this every time I want to go to a rally up there, the first bit is pretty good with clear roads, but keep watching as we hit another mass of traffic on the 101 freeway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKAYx4m0lr8
GP Kevo

Postby hullygully » Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:29 am

wearing shorts & trainers :?
hullygully

Postby Solid Air » Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:43 am

Sounds like you all had a great trip Kev, if a bit challenging at times :D thanks for sharing.

Mark
Solid Air

Postby Fast n Furious » Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:48 pm

Was on that road myself last month (sadly not on my lammy) There's some fantastic roads and spectacular sights going through the Ynes mountains.
California is so expensive!!!! Even their petrol prices are more than ours. :o
Fast n Furious

Postby GP Kevo » Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:22 pm

Petrol prices are volatile and they can and do surpass prices in the UK, but that can vary from place to place and day to day. My local carwash sells fuel at reduced prices between 6pm and 9 am. Yesterday Regular Unleaded 87 octane, I think equal to about 91 octane petrol in Europe, was $4.75 per US gallon, or 3.8 litres, which for California is pretty cheap. Of course, cross the border into neighboring states and prices are almost half. Wealth supremacy reigns supreme in California, unfortunately.
GP Kevo

Return to International Rallies & Events