LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Series 3 TV 175

LAMBRETTA ONLY PLEASE
Show your Lambretta off to us all with pictures of your pride and joy.

Re: Series 3 TV 175

Postby nsaints » Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:10 pm

Ah OK. Yes you explained that on your 1st post
Good luck with your resto
nsaints

Postby Storkfoot » Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:17 pm

The photographs I linked to the early posts were in scoot.net. They seem to have disappeared.

Anyway, here’s some pictures of some of the issues that need sorting. To me, it looks like this scooter has had at least two front end crashes as well as being rear ended.

The legshield intrigues me. I have seen another TV175 with the same holes.

The “Lambretta TV175” badges on the nearside appear in the correct place. On the offside, there are holes drilled that would appear to accept the “x150” and “Special” badges. Either someone has added the SX150 Special badge holes or they are aftermarket legshields with pre drilled holes.

Personally, I think they are aftermarket from many years ago. I’ll have a proper look when I get the legshield off. It looks like the bracket attaching them to the fork tube is bent slightly which is why the horncasting sits askew as you can see in the photographs.

The side panel needs the panel handle tube gently cutting off with a dremel so I can have a go at panel beating the panel flat. This needs doing so that the side panel fits okay.

The toolbox is mangled beyond my limited panel beating skills. I have already sourced a replacement. I suspect the front mudguard, which is definitely an aftermarket one, may well need replacing too but I shall have a go at straightening it before I get another.

You can just make out where the rear frame loop has been bent in. I suspect the same impact that dented the side panel has done this. Given the frame loop is a much thicker gauge than normal panelwork, I am unsure whether this can be pushed back out or whether filler would be a more pragmatic way of covering it up.

The bench seat vibrates a bit too much. I suspect the snapped bolt is the reason. I had originally intended to just ignore that but have now come to the conclusion that it needs an appropriate fix.

On the plus side, the headlight rim is a great fit with the headset.

Storkfoot

Postby gaz_powell » Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:37 pm

On the plus side, the headlight rim is a great fit with the headset.

/\/\. Loving the positivety.!
gaz_powell

Postby Storkfoot » Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:08 pm

gaz_powell wrote:On the plus side, the headlight rim is a great fit with the headset.

/\/\. Loving the positivety.!

Always end on a positive, mate :D
Storkfoot

Postby Cgt75b » Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:33 pm

Such a great looking original scooter, but it has a few issues which you’ve highlighted.
Cgt75b

Postby Storkfoot » Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:51 pm

One of the jobs I was least looking forward to was fixing the seat frame. I thought I’d have to take it all apart which isn’t easy with thin nuts on one side and standard screw slots on the other. I tried undoing a couple but they weren’t for moving.

I needed to replace a pressed stud which had snapped in the middle. I managed to get the original pressed stud out with a dremel and then heat and a punch.

I replaced it with a nut and bolt as you can see from the picture. I just need to round off the nut head slightly on the outer side as this will press against the cover.

Next will be getting the legshield off.
Storkfoot

Postby vegansydney » Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:41 am

Can you please post more images of the Aquila seat? My late TV/2 and early TV/3 both came with Giulari 'wide back' seats, but a friend recently picked up a late TV/2 and it came with what I believe to be an Aquila (badge was long gone). Love to see some photos of the overall shape from the top and the underneath around the catch / locking mechanism. Alternatively, you can DM me.

Said it earlier in thread, but IMHO early TV/3s (and TV.3s) are the pinnacles of Innocenti design. Keep the updates coming :D
vegansydney

Postby Storkfoot » Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:53 pm

vegansydney wrote:Can you please post more images of the Aquila seat? My late TV/2 and early TV/3 both came with Giulari 'wide back' seats, but a friend recently picked up a late TV/2 and it came with what I believe to be an Aquila (badge was long gone). Love to see some photos of the overall shape from the top and the underneath around the catch / locking mechanism. Alternatively, you can DM me.

Said it earlier in thread, but IMHO early TV/3s (and TV.3s) are the pinnacles of Innocenti design. Keep the updates coming :D

Benji, I’ll post up some pictures of the seat frame in the next couple of days. The springs on this one, despite their age, are just about okay so I am just going to get frame blasted and painted, masking the Aquila badge as I go.
Storkfoot

Postby Storkfoot » Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:39 pm

Benji, here are the pictures of the seat. If you want any other angles, let me know.

The rubber strip off the base has been removed, as you can probably see.
Storkfoot

Postby vegansydney » Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:50 pm

Thanks Paul! Exactly same as was found on a friend’s late TV/2. Don’t throw the original cover away as the remade Guilari covers, both the ‘wideback’ and mid-late S3 type, don’t fit.
vegansydney

Postby Storkfoot » Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:02 pm

The original cover has already been binned. The replacement, which is specifically for the coke bottle shape, fits pretty well :)
Storkfoot

Postby vegansydney » Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:04 am

Storkfoot wrote:The original cover has already been binned. The replacement, which is specifically for the coke bottle shape, fits pretty well :)

I'm surprised, but happy to hear. I tried a Casa Lambretta 'wideback' cover for a Giuliari on a frame that looked visually identical to that a few weeks ago and it wasn't even close at the front.
vegansydney

Postby Storkfoot » Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:54 pm

All stripped now so on to checking the frame and beating the panel work.

I have also had to decide which parts are worthy of re plating.

The ubend is an AF 42mm. That may, or may not, end up on this scooter. Suffice to say, the Scootopia one that was on there needs welding.
Storkfoot

Postby Storkfoot » Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:24 pm

I had concluded that my forks had been replaced as, before I removed some of the paint, it looked like there had never been a welded on wire cable guide. Given that it is an early model, a 1962, it would have had the wire cable guide.

On removing the paint, it looks as though there had once been a wire cable guide.

In which case, if anyone has one of these knocking around that they are happy to part with, please let me know. Otherwise, I’ll order some 4mm rod and try and bend it to shape.

This is the guide I am on about:

Storkfoot

Postby Knowledge » Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:23 pm

Try to fine a nail of suitable dimensions Paul, save ordering up a length of rod.
Knowledge

Postby Storkfoot » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:31 pm

Knowledge wrote:Try to fine a nail of suitable dimensions Paul, save ordering up a length of rod.

I reckon it’d need to be about 105mm. I only have a few small nails for hanging pictures :P
Storkfoot

Postby Storkfoot » Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:01 pm

To me, it looks like the struts have, in the past (possibly following a side on impact) been re welded on in the wrong plane. The main strut definitely needs to come up on one side and down on the other. I think they all need to come off and be welded back on.

The bracket to attach the legshields to at the front has had some trauma too.

I’m going to get the frame jigged whilst I carry on trying to straighten the bodywork.

Storkfoot

Postby Storkfoot » Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:37 pm

The frame goes on the jig next week. As you can just pick out, turning the frame over reveals that the main stand strut has been cut and re welded incorrectly.

The other pictures show that the panel bearing is going pretty well. Most of the dent in the loop at the back has been beaten out and the front mudguard is almost the right profile. A bit more work on both should see them good to go for the splits to be welded up.

Legshield is next. That’ll be fun :shock:
Storkfoot

Postby dickie » Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:02 pm

Are you beating the panels yourself? It's something I've never tried seriously but I've always had great respect for those that can.
dickie

Postby Storkfoot » Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:51 pm

dickie wrote:Are you beating the panels yourself? It's something I've never tried seriously but I've always had great respect for those that can.

Yes. A cheap kit from Machine Mart, a couple of You Tube clips, time and patience :D

My skills are limited and certainly won’t avoid the painter having to replenish his stocks of filler after painting this :P
Storkfoot

PreviousNext

Return to Show Your Ride