LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Got myself a nice little Senorita

LAMBRETTA ONLY PLEASE
Show your Lambretta off to us all with pictures of your pride and joy.

Re: Got myself a nice little Senorita

Postby Solid Air » Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:37 am

Cheers lads, and thanks for the tips Dickie 8-)
Solid Air

Postby Covboy » Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:56 pm

La Seniorita es moi Bonita !

:roll:
Covboy

Postby Solid Air » Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:55 pm

I've been busy with Minty recently and now it's all back up and running, to a point.

Last week was full on trying to get everything done for the LLC Chiltern Hills Challenge, which was the target from back when I bought the scooter earlier in the year.

There were a couple of major gremlins towards the end which challenged me. First off, tightening the rear hub onto the axle just pushed the hub up tight onto the axle as it was heavily scored. We had thought it would be usable but that was not to be. Thankfully, I only live a short ride from Cambridge Lambretta so headed off there for the necessary new axle and hub, only to find on replacing the axle, that it was the wrong longer version that I bought. Back I went to get the correct part.

The second problem was the position of the petrol tap in relation to the new PHBL carb. Trying to fit the tank back into the frame, it became apparent that they both wanted to be in the same place. On investigation, I found that the Spanish (and French) mk1 LD had the tap fitted an inch or so further forward than the Italian version. This was got round by using a horizontal Italian tap but that doesn't allow me to bring the tap up through the top of the frame loop because of the same problem, more work to do there still.

The throttle at the handle bar is an interesting and very different set-up, compared to an S3, with the cable ending in an unusual position inside the throttle part of the handle bar and the throttle tube using a slot that twists around the tube.

Connecting all the electrics was straight forward enough, with some tips and a diagram from Trevor and Pete at CamLam, and after a bit of faffing around on my part due to an inadequate earth because of my totally crap soldering, the engine eventually fired up. Very satisfying!

Everything was back together in time to set off early on Saturday morning for the Chilterns but it was a big gamble, having no time to find out if everything worked as it should. Despite this, I set off but didn't get too far sadly. I know the LD is not renowned for its speed but this was desperately slow and I felt very vulnerable, even in the early morning traffic. Eventually, having a 160 mile round trip without the actual challenge, I decided to turn around and enjoy a relaxing Saturday at home and wait for some pictures of the event to appear on social media. On the way back something slipped in the clutch / clutch cable set-up, which just backed up my decision. There will be other events on other days that I can do.

My next step is to look into the lack of power. Maybe the carb is over-jetted, I think the ignition is set correctly and a GT Booster exhaust should help. Maybe, I'm expecting too much or I just need to improve my power to weight ratio, time will tell.

It's been a massive learning curve and and a very interesting one too, and I am very pleased how the scooter has turned out after a good dollop of elbow grease.

Solid Air

Postby dickie » Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:37 am

Nice work and great photos. Shame you never made it, but as you say, there'll be other days.

I'm pretty sure the type of throttle you have is called 'teleflex'; no idea if that's a Lambretta specific name for it or just a general one.
dickie

Postby Solid Air » Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:00 pm

Thanks again Dickie, I know the gearchange is known as a Teleflex and that uses the twisting slot around the handlebar tube, so it would make sense that the throttle is too.... all interesting stuff 8-)
Solid Air

Postby Scooterslag » Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:58 pm

Looking good dude, like the 10" wheel conversion- really fills out the scoot more ( if you know what I mean) and of course with handling, safety etc. Shame you haven't got the engine sorted - sure it will come together. Nice one, Paul 8-)
Scooterslag

Postby Solid Air » Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:30 pm

Cheers Paul, it'll get there, just another challenge to overcome :D the 10" wheel conversion will, as you say, help with the handling and gives a better choice of tyre, but using only a 3.00 x 10 hopefully won't have too much of an adverse effect on the gearing.
Solid Air

Postby watty-rugby » Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:40 pm

Pity about the LLC trip results, but you’ve done a sterling job on that mate. Looking very nice…..
watty-rugby

Postby Solid Air » Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:14 pm

Thank you very much mate :)
Solid Air

Postby Nigel. S » Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:53 pm

Nice job. Looks a real character.
Nigel. S

Postby Solid Air » Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:19 pm

You're softening in your old age Nigel :lol: but cheers mate