LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

RLC GP200

LAMBRETTA ONLY PLEASE
Show your Lambretta off to us all with pictures of your pride and joy.

Re: RLC GP200

Postby Paul Calder » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:38 am

I have to say Tim your GP blew me away at Bridlington. I'm a great fan of RLC as you know, but they've excelled themselves this time; I stared at your scooter all day. Photos can't really do it justice. It needs to be seen in the flesh.

I'm not sure if I told you but I 'popped' in to the RLC shop while your scooter was mid-resto. When I saw the state of some of the parts that were consigned to the bin, I now fully understand why a full resto was the only real choice; the salt air had done some major damage.

I've never been a massive fan of the GP/DL ....until now. I do own one however, and when the RLC boys dropped my TV off in Edinburgh, I asked them to take the DL back to Italy for restoration...so thanks for costing me a fortune :)

Hopefully you'll manage to get some miles on it before winter really kicks in. People need to see this beauty on the road.

Cheers, Paul
Paul Calder

Postby binksboy » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:40 pm

I have had a lot of poor service from so called reputable dealers over the years, to the point of sometimes calling it a day.
Dean and the gang at RLC have been a breath of fresh air. RLC picked up the scoot last year, we came up with a plan and it was delivered as per that plan. No bullshit, lies, false promises etc etc, you know the score. All correspondence answered, no sourcing parts, chasing painters, quality control issues etc etc. This has been the most stress free dealer experience I have ever had, great people doing exactly what they promise to do. So pleased I am with this service Dean has taken my 1974 registered GP Electronic and original 1964 Luton Lambretta club GT/TV 200, both for restoration. Great service from a superb dealer in my opinion, the reason they are the benchmark.

Thanks for the appreciative comments.[/quote]

I hope you don't mind me asking and if you'd rather not say fine, but what is the actual resto cost including pickup and return to you. Your GP looks fantastic and I'd like to do similiar 8-)
binksboy

Postby Paul Calder » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:24 am

RLC restoration prices are on their website, although I'm not sure how up to date they are. 'Factory' restorations are £9-10k. If you add tuning and lots of accessories you're talking £12k+. There is a 2-3 year waiting list, but sometimes you can get lucky and get squeezed in earlier. RLC are not cheap, but there is a reason why there is a waiting list; there are great restorers out there, but RLC tops them all. Pick up and delivery needs to be tied in with their trips to the U.K. to be of reasonable cost.

Patience is a virtue if you want perfection. You'll love the end result, but if you get things turned around in under a year like Tim did, you've done very well indeed. My TV is due for delivery next year. I bought it 4 years ago....but then I keep changing my mind.

If you're serious, a trip down to their shop is just a wonderful way to get the ideas flowing......and the hospitality is fantastic.
Paul Calder

Postby Revvers » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:21 pm

Looking at the cost of works, I feel I should withdraw my post of 30 October regarding my experience. I paid nowhere near the sums quoted at RLC and made an unfair comparison. You get what you pay for
Revvers

Postby Tim_Craig » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:24 pm

Paul Calder wrote:RLC restoration prices are on their website, although I'm not sure how up to date they are. 'Factory' restorations are £9-10k. If you add tuning and lots of accessories you're talking £12k+. There is a 2-3 year waiting list, but sometimes you can get lucky and get squeezed in earlier. RLC are not cheap, but there is a reason why there is a waiting list; there are great restorers out there, but RLC tops them all. Pick up and delivery needs to be tied in with their trips to the U.K. to be of reasonable cost.

Patience is a virtue if you want perfection. You'll love the end result, but if you get things turned around in under a year like Tim did, you've done very well indeed. My TV is due for delivery next year. I bought it 4 years ago....but then I keep changing my mind.

If you're serious, a trip down to their shop is just a wonderful way to get the ideas flowing......and the hospitality is fantastic.

Well said Paul.

Sorry for costing you 10k, I owe you a drink, lol..
Tim_Craig

Postby Angelo » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:08 am

Paul Calder wrote:RLC restoration prices are on their website, although I'm not sure how up to date they are. 'Factory' restorations are £9-10k. If you add tuning and lots of accessories you're talking £12k+. There is a 2-3 year waiting list, but sometimes you can get lucky and get squeezed in earlier. RLC are not cheap, but there is a reason why there is a waiting list; there are great restorers out there, but RLC tops them all. Pick up and delivery needs to be tied in with their trips to the U.K. to be of reasonable cost.

Your SX is stunning, a bench mark for how they should look.
Angelo

Postby gaz_powell » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:07 pm

Without doubt this is a lovely piece of work - no two ways about it

However we a talking £9k minimum on top of the purchase price which is propelling a standard bike way beyond £10k topped of with a 2-3 yr waiting list :shock:

All that said ultimately the owner is happy and thats what is important not what anybody else thinks.
gaz_powell

Postby Paul Calder » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:20 am

Thanks Angelo, but I can't take any credit. I only paid for it :)
There are restorers out there to suit all budgets and I've used a few of them with varying degrees of success. If you want the very best though RLC seem to edge it.
There is no doubt however that scooters are becoming rather pricey.......in fact crazy...but I don't see them getting cheaper any time soon. Shame, but the guys who kept the scene going through the quiet years, will hopefully benefit one day.
Paul Calder

Previous

Return to Show Your Ride