LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

'64 pacemaker resto

LAMBRETTA ONLY PLEASE
Show your Lambretta off to us all with pictures of your pride and joy.

Re: '64 pacemaker resto

Postby dickie » Thu May 14, 2015 12:38 pm

Nobby wrote:

Reverse pull... No dampers..... Progressive springs...
Image






I'm about to convert my drum to reverse pull (it's effing terrifying the way it is). Where did you get that cable guide; it looks a lot more 'period' than the anodised ones I can find.
dickie
 
Posts: 1295
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:32 pm
Location: Tyne and Wear

Re: '64 pacemaker resto

Postby Nobby » Thu May 14, 2015 2:23 pm

dickie wrote:
Nobby wrote:

Reverse pull... No dampers..... Progressive springs...
Image






I'm about to convert my drum to reverse pull (it's effing terrifying the way it is). Where did you get that cable guide; it looks a lot more 'period' than the anodised ones I can find.


Cambridge lambretta or all styles do them I think
User avatar
Nobby
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 9:56 pm

Re: '64 pacemaker resto

Postby 911hillclimber » Fri May 15, 2015 8:05 am

Mine came from Allstyles in stainless, not everyone sells them.
911hillclimber
 
Posts: 345
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:39 pm

Re: '64 pacemaker resto

Postby HxPaul » Sat May 16, 2015 7:04 am

Nobby wrote:
dickie wrote:
Nobby wrote:

Reverse pull... No dampers..... Progressive springs...
Image






I'm about to convert my drum to reverse pull (it's effing terrifying the way it is). Where did you get that cable guide; it looks a lot more 'period' than the anodised ones I can find.


Cambridge lambretta or all styles do them I think

Reverse pull on a drum brake can be very dangerous,if the brake linings get warn the brake cam can become stuck causing the brake to lock on causing the rider to loose control.
User avatar
HxPaul
 
Posts: 1549
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 9:18 am
Location: Halifax

Re: '64 pacemaker resto

Postby Nobby » Sat May 16, 2015 7:47 am

Reverse pull on a drum brake can be very dangerous,if the brake linings get warn the brake cam can become stuck causing the brake to lock on causing the rider to loose control.



If your front brake linings are that worn on the front (unlikely or just plain lack of maintenance on owners behalf) that will happen wether it's reverse pull or standard pull,

reverse pull improves braking efficiency-fact...... Making for safer riding

You know when the linings are so worn the cam has reached its point of no return because you can feel it- the brakes get really vague and the arm is in the wrong position/there's no adjustment and when you do adjust it it binds , and you have to investigate long before that.
User avatar
Nobby
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 9:56 pm

Re: '64 pacemaker resto

Postby HxPaul » Sat May 16, 2015 9:45 am

Nobby wrote:
Reverse pull on a drum brake can be very dangerous,if the brake linings get warn the brake cam can become stuck causing the brake to lock on causing the rider to loose control.



If your front brake linings are that worn on the front (unlikely or just plain lack of maintenance on owners behalf) that will happen wether it's reverse pull or standard pull,

reverse pull improves braking efficiency-fact...... Making for safer riding

You know when the linings are so worn the cam has reached its point of no return because you can feel it- the brakes get really vague and the arm is in the wrong position/there's no adjustment and when you do adjust it it binds , and you have to investigate long before that.[/quo

The whole point of reverse pulling a brake is because you can apply more force making the the brake work better,this is ok on a disc brake because their is no cam on the brake lever shaft,on a drum brake their is and this could become almost horizontal and cause the brake to lock on.
User avatar
HxPaul
 
Posts: 1549
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 9:18 am
Location: Halifax

Re: '64 pacemaker resto

Postby Nobby » Sat May 16, 2015 12:04 pm

HxPaul wrote:
Nobby wrote:
Reverse pull on a drum brake can be very dangerous,if the brake linings get warn the brake cam can become stuck causing the brake to lock on causing the rider to loose control.



If your front brake linings are that worn on the front (unlikely or just plain lack of maintenance on owners behalf) that will happen wether it's reverse pull or standard pull,

reverse pull improves braking efficiency-fact...... Making for safer riding

You know when the linings are so worn the cam has reached its point of no return because you can feel it- the brakes get really vague and the arm is in the wrong position/there's no adjustment and when you do adjust it it binds , and you have to investigate long before that.[/quo

The whole point of reverse pulling a brake is because you can apply more force making the the brake work better,this is ok on a disc brake because their is no cam on the brake lever shaft,on a drum brake their is and this could become almost horizontal and cause the brake to lock on.



The point of reverse pull isn't so you can put more force on the brake at all?!!. The point of reverse pull is to shorten the cable and take the bend/loop out of it...... This takes slack and play out of the cable making it much more of a positive feel and no so spongey,
If you can skid your front wheel with reverse or standard set up your putting to much force on the lever anyway!! I wouldn't recommend put anymore force in it then that!!, reverse pull is all about making the brake feel more positive not about force
There's no possible way the cam can 'go over' unless the shoes are worn out or the wrong model (ie gp in a li)
And a disc brake arm has got a cam, it's just doesn't work the same way as a drum brake one.
User avatar
Nobby
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 9:56 pm

Re: '64 pacemaker resto

Postby gaz_powell » Sat May 16, 2015 6:07 pm

I've ran a reverse pull on sx front drum for a long time and it certainly has a better feel.

I'll be stripping it shortly to have a look at shoes but will certainly be putting it back after the inspection - this time I'll get a nice cable guide instead of the tie wrap I currently have.

Just done another one on my S2 aswell
gaz_powell
 
Posts: 1956
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 7:56 pm
Location: Hartlepool

Re: '64 pacemaker resto

Postby HxPaul » Sat May 16, 2015 8:07 pm

"and a disc brake arm has got a cam,it's just doesn't work the same way as a drum one"

No it hasn't.An inboard disc brake works by an actuator mechanism,when the lever is pulled the cable operates the actuator,which in turn operates balls and ramps which push the brake pad onto the disc.
All I'm doing is pointing out the dangers of using reverse pull on a drum brake,this is common knowledge,in fact if you go onto the home page of the L.C.G.B.and look for how to reverse pull a disc brake
it states exactly what I have said.I don't want to make an issue of this and you can take the information as you wish,so I will just let the matter drop.
User avatar
HxPaul
 
Posts: 1549
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 9:18 am
Location: Halifax

Re: '64 pacemaker resto

Postby Nobby » Sun May 17, 2015 12:02 am

HxPaul wrote:"and a disc brake arm has got a cam,it's just doesn't work the same way as a drum one"

No it hasn't.An inboard disc brake works by an actuator mechanism,when the lever is pulled the cable operates the actuator,which in turn operates balls and ramps which push the brake pad onto the disc.
All I'm doing is pointing out the dangers of using reverse pull on a drum brake,this is common knowledge,in fact if you go onto the home page of the L.C.G.B.and look for how to reverse pull a disc brake
it states exactly what I have said.I don't want to make an issue of this and you can take the information as you wish,so I will just let the matter drop.



Ok ..... But an 'actuator' works because it has a cam in it... .. That's what it is.. A lever with a cam connected to it... Just like-ish a drum brake mechanism
User avatar
Nobby
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 9:56 pm

Re: '64 pacemaker resto

Postby dave411 » Sun May 17, 2015 7:35 am

:o handbags :lol:
User avatar
dave411
 
Posts: 247
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:31 pm
Location: Sunny Cardiff

Re: '64 pacemaker resto

Postby Nobby » Sun May 17, 2015 9:36 am

dave411 wrote::o handbags :lol:



:D







Anyone that knows me knows I like a good debate!!
Anyway I'm right!...
Number 8 in exploded view is the cam that is held in firm by the hub, number 10 is the lever with a cam on the back... As the lever is pulled round the ball bearing between the cams is 'squeezed' thus pushing the number 7 pin out and pads onto the disc, so the 'actuator ' actually has 2 cams in it innit!

He wouldn't let it lie!

Image
Last edited by Nobby on Sun May 17, 2015 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Nobby
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 9:56 pm

Re: '64 pacemaker resto

Postby Nobby » Sun May 17, 2015 9:37 am

Anyway that's enough mass debating about a front brake zzz
Here's a picture of my pacemaker with my sx200 as of yesterday... Mot weds!.. Just a couple of runner strips to put on and headset to screw down!....
6v lights are shite btw!!!







Image
User avatar
Nobby
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 9:56 pm

Re: '64 pacemaker resto

Postby philcasino1973 » Sun May 17, 2015 11:39 am

2 quality scooters there m8 ........very nice
phil
philcasino1973
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 7:49 pm

Re: '64 pacemaker resto

Postby Toddy » Sun May 17, 2015 8:07 pm

Lovely pair Nobby :D
User avatar
Toddy
 
Posts: 7215
Joined: Tue May 13, 2014 9:58 pm
Location: East Yorkshire

Re: '64 pacemaker resto

Postby Nobby » Mon May 18, 2015 6:01 am

Soooo I tried to 'restore'/customise my pacemaker with as many original parts as possible (even if a bit worn) ..... One of the parts I did buy brand new remade was the kickstart piston!.....
Ffs!!!!!



both Feckin teeth have sheard off!!

Image


Image



Image



So had to split the engine, exhaust/ floorboards before I'd even been for a test ride! I've only kicked it over 20-30 times!! Gggrrrrr :evil:
User avatar
Nobby
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 9:56 pm

Re: '64 pacemaker resto

Postby Nobby » Mon May 18, 2015 6:03 am

Changed the font of the front number plate letters to... Which was bugging me!

Image
User avatar
Nobby
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 9:56 pm

Re: '64 pacemaker resto

Postby pacemaker » Mon May 18, 2015 10:57 am

at least you can tighten up the exhaust U bend bolts. (Se dribbles of oil)
User avatar
pacemaker
 
Posts: 133
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:51 pm

Re: '64 pacemaker resto

Postby Nobby » Mon May 18, 2015 12:35 pm

Good spot!!, yep nipped them up when i saw that but they were tight as!... Must be at the end of the thread so got to put some washers under the nuts I reckon
User avatar
Nobby
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 9:56 pm

Re: '64 pacemaker resto

Postby Dimitrios_231 » Mon May 18, 2015 2:48 pm

What brand is the kick start shaft piston?
I bought 3 Casa recently...
User avatar
Dimitrios_231
 
Posts: 981
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 1:15 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Show Your Ride

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests