LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Sticking rear brake series 2

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Sticking rear brake series 2

Postby readsandypaul » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:41 pm

Hi, My first time be gentle with me, i have a series 2 and my rear brake sticks on, i have replaced the spring in the hub that pulls the shoes back together also replaced the bush and spring on the pedal, the shoes looked like new so just cleaned them up adding a bit of copper grease to locating pins that hold the shoes, all seemed to be fine for about 100 miles now started sticking on again, any tip you can give me would be a great help, thanks Paul. :|
readsandypaul

Re: Sticking rear brake series 2

Postby Storkfoot » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:14 pm

Have you taken the cable out and re-greased it?
Storkfoot

Postby readsandypaul » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:37 pm

No ive not greased the canle if you think thats it i will strip it down and do that. Is there anything with the knob that turns in the hub (god knows the name) that could get it stuck or is the cable the only thing left? should i replace it to be sure?, thanks.
readsandypaul

Postby Storkfoot » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:30 pm

If it's an old cable with cracks in the outer, probably best to replace it entirely. Again, a liberal coating of the thin low melting point grease on the cable.

Also check that the cable adjuster doesn't catch on the engine casing when the pedal is depressed.

I think you are referring to the cam that pushes the shoes against the rim when the pedal is depressed. I just place a fairly thin smear of copper grease on either side of the cam.
Storkfoot

Postby readsandypaul » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:04 pm

Great thanks a lot for the advice, i will check out the cable and add the grease, thanks again, Paul.
readsandypaul

Postby Fast n Furious » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:02 am

A semi-seized brake shoe cam will give you this symptom.
Fast n Furious

Postby readsandypaul » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:47 am

Thanks i will also check that cam, thanks Paul.
readsandypaul

Postby ladsdad » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:44 am

Hi
If you find after checking the cable, brake cam etc that you've still having problems with the brake sticking it could just be that your rear hub is worn out. I had this problem a while ago, same symptoms... new(ish) shoes, ok for while.
If you disconnect your cable & move the brake arm by hand & it moves a long way before the brake starts working, this could be your problem. Decent rear hubs are available but ask for a recommendation before you buy.. DON'T buy cheap crap off eBay, use a dealer or the LCGB club shop.

Cheers Mark.
ladsdad

Postby readsandypaul » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:10 pm

Great advice on it all, i'm iching to start looking, at the moment i am looking after the Granchildren, but i will get stuck in tomorrow and let you know what i come up with, thanks again. ive had a 45 year lay off from having a Lambretta and now ive discovered i'm 17 again, having great fun again, everone i have come across since i bought my series 2 have been great and very friendly, what a great thing to have a Lambretta again and mix with such great people again, Thanks Everyone Paul.
readsandypaul

Postby Phil D » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:10 pm

readsandypaul wrote:Great advice on it all, i'm iching to start looking, at the moment i am looking after the Granchildren, but i will get stuck in tomorrow and let you know what i come up with, thanks again. ive had a 45 year lay off from having a Lambretta and now ive discovered i'm 17 again, having great fun again, everone i have come across since i bought my series 2 have been great and very friendly, what a great thing to have a Lambretta again and mix with such great people again, Thanks Everyone Paul.

:D Fantastic feeling I too found that I am in fact 17 seventeen again when I ride a my Lambretta.

:( wish I felt the same all the time someone once told me "youth is wasted on the young " at the time I didn't understand... :cry: )
Phil D

Postby readsandypaul » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:27 pm

Hi I'm back after messing around. right i dismantaled all the rear brake the shoes, they were like new but on the cam edge there was and indentation where i thought they may get stuck with the cam, so i flattened them off with an oil stone and put them the other way round so would not rub in the same place, i took out the cam checked it and greased it, i then refitted the brake arm lever, i showed someone who knows about these things and he said the brake arm leaver was fitted to far back round on the cam, i did put it back how it was, so i fitted it more upright, tightened the cable and all seems fine now, i have just ordered a BGM fast fit cable to do away with the contraption on the cable and make it easier to ajust once fitted. I have done about 20 miles now with no sticking so it seems that the brake cable arm had been fitted in the wrong place before i bought the scooter. I thank everyone for their tips and infomation it as all been helpful :D . So now i can be 17 again and love it, Have fun and Thanks Paul.
readsandypaul

Postby HxPaul » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:04 am

I have just had the same trouble with a series 2 back brake sticking,I had to remove the shaft/cam that goes through the engine case and clean it up and grease it.There was a grease nipple on the case but someone in the past has broken it so you have to remove the shaft to clean and lubricate it.
HxPaul

Postby readsandypaul » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:02 pm

Yes you are right about the greese nipple but not all engine casings have one, like mine, but i have done around 50 miles now and the brakes are great.
readsandypaul

Postby readsandypaul » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:30 pm

Hi, Just an update,Four months on the brake is still working perfect, so the things i did are still working, good luck with your. :D
readsandypaul

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3