LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

rear brake set up

Might be worth while looking in here first, as we post the most frequently asked questions within here!

rear brake set up

Postby mickey c » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:17 am

Hi all
I have seen lots of discussions regarding routing the rear brake cable and share the observations that unusually Sticky has not helped me out with this one.
I've routed mine under the engine bolt, skirted as far from the plug as I can and followed the route of the other cables through the frame.

My problem is that when leaving the top hat, my inner cable is really close to the frame strut and will rub when the brake is applied.
(I did have the frame checked by a pro before starting the build and its straight and struts etc. are where they should be)

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? any ideas as to how to solve this? My only thought is to put another piece of outer cable between the top hat and bolt on the brake pedal bracket but this feels like a bodge I'd rather avoid and actually do it properly.
thanks again for any suggestions.
mickey c

Re: rear brake set up

Postby missing lynx » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:16 pm

First it may help if we know what model you're working on I'm a bit confused by " through the frame" there should be a lug on the frame that the top hat sits in then the outer should go in a almost straight line to where the top hat sits in the engine block under the rear shock and it's held in the middle by the clip under the adjuster block. on the pedal have you got the cable retaining bolt the right way round the nut should be facing you
missing lynx

Postby mickey c » Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:37 pm

Sorry for not being clearer. It’s TV2! The outer is sat in both top hats. It’s from there my problem starts due to how close inner cable is to the floor strut. I’ve got the bolt holding the cable towards the frame, but facing out, although the other way around wouldn’t alter the angle from top hat to brake pedal clamping bracket. I’ve not done it up mega tight yet because it just doesn’t look right.
I don’t remember how to post photos but will try later.
Thanks again for your replies & help.
mickey c

Postby missing lynx » Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:49 pm

It wouldn't be a new after market brake pedal would it? As in theory as the pedal pulls the cable the cable should pull perfectly horizontal not at a downward angle
missing lynx

Postby mickey c » Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:54 pm

No it’s the original one! I did offer up a series 3 One I had knocking around but no use as the pedal is longer & wouldn’t operate the brake switch. Also unlikely to go through the leg shields but I’ve not checked that tbh.

Should the clamping bracket face towards the headset? & not the rear wheel as I have assumed? This would correct the issue but does not look very safe with as it could catch on the leggies or flip over to face backwards!
mickey c

Postby missing lynx » Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:21 pm

It should face backwards
missing lynx

Postby mickey c » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:08 pm

Thanks for confirming that & your advice, I’ll have another play tonight & see where I get to.
mickey c

Postby dickie » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:12 pm

Do you have the cable between the two plates, not somehow at the inboard side?
dickie

Postby mickey c » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:20 am

Having looked at it again last night, I think I'm going to have to 'persuade' the lower section of the bracket (welded to frame to hold the top hat) to move 1 or 2 mm towards the headset. this will change the angle of top hat and inner cable, getting it off the frame strut!

problem is, i'm going to have drop the engine to gain access to this and hope to god I don't snap the thing off completely. :?
mickey c

Return to Frequently Asked Questions