LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

MOT Required

Might be worth while looking in here first, as we post the most frequently asked questions within here!

Re: MOT Required

Postby Mel K » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:05 pm

Rich
I taxed It and What I thought was registered It for mot exempt in May 2019
I got pulled over in late October early November, Think the computer would have updated in that time.
I did have another look at the exemption thing and I think that you have to fill in a for and take it the post office not just click online when taxing it . I chose to jib all that and carry on getting it motd instead as there’s no grey area with that . Yes there must be thousands in the same boat unaware , I wouldn’t be chancing riding in Europe without an mot that’s for sure .
Mel K

Postby roli150lam » Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:32 am

I did fill the form in when I did mine.never had a problem since .many uk miles and a fair amount of european miles travelled :

As far as I'm aware from my experience there are no grey areas when it comes to mot exempt
roli150lam

Postby coaster » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:55 pm

Hmm, just thought I'd check on lime and the DVLA say the MOT on my Marcos ran out in 2017 but it is showing as being Taxed until next June. That's by me doing the declaration on line.

Gawd knows what info the police act on :?
coaster

Postby roli150lam » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:01 am

Mel K wrote:Roli150lam
This was before lockdown around the end of October last year , I got it MOTD mid November
The officer was ok about it all , I did explain that I’d taxed it and that it didn’t need an mot and asked him to check but he didn’t have the wherewithal to do that and thanked me for stopping, my mot man did tell me that lots of his classic car customers where being stopped in Europe for no Mot and the European police need to see physical documents so it’s a good idea to just get your vehicle mot’d , problems solved .

The law in the uk is a 40 or more years old vehicle without substantial changes does not need an mot(but has to be kept in a roadworthy state by the operator) Therefore while travelling in in any European member state the vehicle would/should be deemed to be legal.
roli150lam

Postby Mel K » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:21 am

Roli, the UK police officer who pulled me over knew nothing about UK historic vehicles and MOT exempt rules /laws , so I’m not sure any European police would either , but we’re all free to get our vehicles mot’d or not and for an annual fee of around £25 and to eliminate any possible confusion, for me I chose to carry on with the Mot .
Mel K

Postby neily03 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:22 am

This is how mine shows up on the DVLA, though as it was first registered in the UK last November it's never required or had an MOT

ImageIMG_1944 by Neil Schofield, on Flickr
neily03

Postby Rich Oswald » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:48 pm

Mel K wrote:Rich
I taxed It and What I thought was registered It for mot exempt in May 2019
I got pulled over in late October early November, Think the computer would have updated in that time.
I did have another look at the exemption thing and I think that you have to fill in a for and take it the post office not just click online when taxing it . I chose to jib all that and carry on getting it motd instead as there’s no grey area with that . Yes there must be thousands in the same boat unaware , I wouldn’t be chancing riding in Europe without an mot that’s for sure .

I have four Lambrettas and i've not filled a form in for any of them and of course my J Range IS substantially modified, however motorcycles (and scooters) are exempt fron this. Do not MOT any of them.

Rich'
Rich Oswald

Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Postby roli150lam » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:15 pm

Mel K wrote:Roli, the UK police officer who pulled me over knew nothing about UK historic vehicles and MOT exempt rules /laws , so I’m not sure any European police would either , but we’re all free to get our vehicles mot’d or not and for an annual fee of around £25 and to eliminate any possible confusion, for me I chose to carry on with the Mot .

Mel.k which force area was this.
I agree as the operator it is your prerogative.However those tasked with enforcing the law should know the law.
roli150lam

Postby Mel K » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:40 pm

Roli , I got pulled in Bebbington Wirral so assume that would be Cheshire constabulary but if the computer says MOT expired then that’s what he had to act on . The computer should have said MOT exempt due to age of vehicle but as others have posted it doesn’t.
Mel K

Previous

Return to Frequently Asked Questions