LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

MOT Required

Might be worth while looking in here first, as we post the most frequently asked questions within here!

MOT Required

Postby Granty » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:35 pm

Just got my s1 registered and new V5 through (thankyou to the LCGB help), got it taxed now. Quick question, do i need to get the bike MOT'd after its registration and reintroduce to the roads since 1972 or does the historical vehicle clause mean no MOT Required? Thanks, Grant.
Granty

Re: MOT Required

Postby Rich Oswald » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:02 pm

If it says "Historic Vehicle" on the V5 then no it is exempt from Tax and MOT.

Rich'.
Rich Oswald

Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Postby Granty » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:36 pm

Thanks for all your help Rich', another nearly back on the run.
Granty

Postby Noeyedeer » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:12 pm

Hi Rich,

One of my bikes it states - 1st registered 1982 and dates 1st registration in the UK 1982 and also the taxation class as Historic Vehicle, this was not done by me but one assumes who the person who first brought it to the UK, so not outside the 40 yr rule neither.
So question is as per OP does mine need an MOT would you say ?

Noeyedeer

Postby Rich Oswald » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:23 pm

Noeyedeer wrote:Hi Rich,

One of my bikes it states - 1st registered 1982 and dates 1st registration in the UK 1982 and also the taxation class as Historic Vehicle, this was not done by me but one assumes who the person who first brought it to the UK, so not outside the 40 yr rule neither.
So question is as per OP does mine need an MOT would you say ?

This is where people get confused. The "Historic" status goes on date of manufacture and NOT date of first registration which could be much much later.

Therefore unless you tell me the year of manufacture, and my guess it is earlier due to the historic status, then I can't say if it requires an MOT or not. You will however, find out if you renew the tax online.

Rich'
Rich Oswald

Postby Noeyedeer » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:53 pm

Thanks Rich....

Just sussed it 1960 so no MOT
Noeyedeer

Postby coaster » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:02 pm

Noeyedeer wrote:Thanks Rich....

You will need to go online and declare it as not needing an MOT by completing an online form, there are questions about engine modifications but Im given to believe that motorcycles are excempt.
coaster

Postby Rich Oswald » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:32 am

coaster wrote:

You will need to go online and declare it as not needing an MOT by completing an online form, there are questions about engine modifications but Im given to believe that motorcycles are excempt.

Really, I've never seen this online forn, any more details?

Rich'
Rich Oswald

Postby Noeyedeer » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:52 pm

Hi

Maybe Coaster means V112 or the like perhaps.
The whole thing surrounding MOT exempt vehicles is a bit of a minefield so I think I will MOT it anyhow.
Noeyedeer

Postby roli150lam » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:37 am

There is no minefield when it comes to the MOT status.if the scooter is historic on the V5 then it is just that.there are no trick questions.
There is a wealth of information on gov.uk/motoring.
roli150lam

Postby Rich Oswald » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:16 am

roli150lam wrote:There is no minefield when it comes to the MOT status.if the scooter is historic on the V5 then it is just that.there are no trick questions.
There is a wealth of information on gov.uk/motoring.

Agreed!

Rich'
Rich Oswald

Postby coaster » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:06 pm

Rich Oswald wrote:
coaster wrote:

Rich'

It was a declaration that came up when I ticked the box to be mot escempt. There was a form that you presented at the post office, I completed one last year for my Marcos
coaster

Postby roli150lam » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:26 pm

You will need to go online and declare it as not needing an MOT by completing an online form, there are questions about engine modifications but Im given to believe that motorcycles are excempt.[/quote]

Rich'[/quote]

It was a declaration that came up when I ticked the box to be mot escempt. There was a form that you presented at the post office, I completed one last year for my Marcos[/quote]

Re:-engine mods,a change to c.c. is not considered to be a major change by the DVLA.
roli150lam

Postby Rich Oswald » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:51 pm

roli150lam wrote:You will need to go online and declare it as not needing an MOT by completing an online form, there are questions about engine modifications but Im given to believe that motorcycles are excempt.

Rich'[/quote]

It was a declaration that came up when I ticked the box to be mot escempt. There was a form that you presented at the post office, I completed one last year for my Marcos[/quote]
e:-engine mods,a change to c.c. is not considered to be a major change by the DVLA.[/quote]

Yes, motorcycles are exempt from the modifications ruling.
Rich Oswald

Postby Mel K » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:23 am

You do have to present the form at the post office, clicking online to register as not needing an mot is enough to tax it But the police with npr will pull you over because their computer says you have no mot as happened to me . I got mine motd after that as I didn’t want to get pulled over like way back when on a daily basis . (Not that I ride the banger everyday )
Mel K

Postby Rich Oswald » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:22 am

Mel K wrote:You do have to present the form at the post office, clicking online to register as not needing an mot is enough to tax it But the police with npr will pull you over because their computer says you have no mot as happened to me . I got mine motd after that as I didn’t want to get pulled over like way back when on a daily basis . (Not that I ride the banger everyday )

Bit surprised at that, maybe it takes a while to update. There must be literally thousands of classic vehicles in that situation, I reckon you were just unlucky and the coppers were bored.

Rich'
Rich Oswald

Postby roli150lam » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:11 pm

Mel K wrote:You do have to present the form at the post office, clicking online to register as not needing an mot is enough to tax it But the police with npr will pull you over because their computer says you have no mot as happened to me . I got mine motd after that as I didn’t want to get pulled over like way back when on a daily basis . (Not that I ride the banger everyday )

Has this happened recently I.e.during lockdown?
I ask because I have looked for mot status of my scoots on gov.uk.
Both show as mot expired.
These 2 scooters have not been mot since the exemption was introduced.they were both registered using the v112 form as exempt.
Whenever I have checked the mot status before it has returned as historic no mot required on the gov.uk.
Possibly because of lockdown/staff furlough accurate records are not being maintained by DVLA?
I have ridden many miles on all classes of road been through countless ANPR cameras.Never been stopped by police or had any letters questioning the mot status of my scoots.
roli150lam

Postby coaster » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:42 pm

Noeyedeer wrote:Hi

The whole thing surrounding MOT exempt vehicles is a bit of a minefield so I think I will MOT it anyhow.

Yes thats the one
coaster

Postby Rich Oswald » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:20 pm

coaster wrote:
Noeyedeer wrote:Hi

I didn't realise there was an online version as well as the paper form from the Post Office.

Rich'
Yes thats the one
Rich Oswald

Postby Mel K » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:53 pm

Roli150lam
This was before lockdown around the end of October last year , I got it MOTD mid November
The officer was ok about it all , I did explain that I’d taxed it and that it didn’t need an mot and asked him to check but he didn’t have the wherewithal to do that and thanked me for stopping, my mot man did tell me that lots of his classic car customers where being stopped in Europe for no Mot and the European police need to see physical documents so it’s a good idea to just get your vehicle mot’d , problems solved .
Mel K

Next

Return to Frequently Asked Questions