LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

hydraulic rear brake

Might be worth while looking in here first, as we post the most frequently asked questions within here!

hydraulic rear brake

Postby eaststandjohn » Wed May 22, 2024 12:46 pm

Hi there
I was wondering has anyone fitted an hydraulic rear brake? As i've had a quick look at them as ive been looking for parts for my front 1 and ive noticed there's 2 different types ie the oiltech external disc type and the tino type that still use interal shoes
does anyone have any thoughts please?
eaststandjohn

Re: hydraulic rear brake

Postby Fast n Furious » Thu May 23, 2024 3:35 pm

Personally, I fail to see the point in them.
The original gear is perfectly satisfactory if set up and maintained properly.
Fast n Furious

Postby Storkfoot » Thu May 23, 2024 4:08 pm

Did Oiltek ever put the rear hydraulic set up into production?

As for Tino’s internal Hydra rear set up, I am unsure whether I have ever seen that for sale, let alone heard of anyone who has one fitted.

With the rear set up, I can’t see beyond the hassle of even taking a wheel off, never mind setting it up properly.
Storkfoot

Postby gizmo » Sat May 25, 2024 1:04 pm

Fast n Furious wrote:Personally, I fail to see the point in them.
+1
gizmo

Postby Rich Oswald » Sun May 26, 2024 8:57 am

gizmo wrote:
Fast n Furious wrote:Personally, I fail to see the point in them.
+1

+2
Rich Oswald

Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Postby tim_mason » Sun May 26, 2024 7:25 pm

i have had three scooters with rear discs and like anything else its a learning curve with setting them up ,but worth it in the end and look trick when fitted.
tim_mason

Postby eaststandjohn » Wed May 29, 2024 10:13 am

Storkfoot wrote:Did Oiltek ever put the rear hydraulic set up into production?

As for Tino’s internal Hydra rear set up, I am unsure whether I have ever seen that for sale, let alone heard of anyone who has one fitted.

With the rear set up, I can’t see beyond the hassle of even taking a wheel off, never mind setting it up properly.

Im not sure if they did thats why i was asking thank you
eaststandjohn

Postby eaststandjohn » Wed May 29, 2024 10:16 am

tim_mason wrote:i have had three scooters with rear discs and like anything else its a learning curve with setting them up ,but worth it in the end and look trick when fitted.

were they shop bought or home made tim ?
eaststandjohn

Postby gizmo » Wed May 29, 2024 12:40 pm

I'm sure Oiltek did produce them. I remember one being on display on their shop counter many moons ago. They looked good. I'm sure if you really wanted one Paul at Oiltek would do you one.
gizmo

Postby eaststandjohn » Wed May 29, 2024 2:44 pm

gizmo wrote:I'm sure Oiltek did produce them. I remember one being on display on their shop counter many moons ago. They looked good. I'm sure if you really wanted one Paul at Oiltek would do you one.

thank you ill bear it in mind, i dont want to bother him just yet as ive not made my mind up yet
eaststandjohn

Postby tim_mason » Wed May 29, 2024 6:00 pm

gizmo wrote:I'm sure Oiltek did produce them. I remember one being on display on their shop counter many moons ago. They looked good. I'm sure if you really wanted one Paul at Oiltek would do you one.

The ones i have used are the early type from Pat in Saigon , these came with an indian made 'RAMP' rear hub which lasted about 400 miles second one lasted the same , so i machined a good quality hub , sorted. Second one i binned the foot brake bracket and welded a bracket to the frame , much neater ,
I am fitting the same to a side project but with a rear set brake pedal with the slave cylinder fitted to the back plate .
tim_mason

Postby eaststandjohn » Wed Jun 05, 2024 9:43 am

tim_mason wrote:

The ones i have used are the early type from Pat in Saigon , these came with an indian made 'RAMP' rear hub which lasted about 400 miles second one lasted the same , so i machined a good quality hub , sorted. Second one i binned the foot brake bracket and welded a bracket to the frame , much neater ,
I am fitting the same to a side project but with a rear set brake pedal with the slave cylinder fitted to the back plate .

Now there's a thought thank you tim, how are you going to fit the caliper though?
eaststandjohn

Postby tim_mason » Fri Jun 07, 2024 3:47 pm

eaststandjohn wrote:
tim_mason wrote:

The ones i have used are the early type from Pat in Saigon , these came with an indian made 'R
I have another second hand kit i am wiling to let go if you are serious about fitting one ,

i will send you my phone number by PM if you are wanting to buy a brake ,
Cheers Tim.
tim_mason

Return to Frequently Asked Questions