LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Is my Lambretta MOT exempt?

Might be worth while looking in here first, as we post the most frequently asked questions within here!

Is my Lambretta MOT exempt?

Postby Paul Slack » Thu May 15, 2014 2:09 pm

Important information document from DVLA to LCGB regarding Pre 1960 MOT requirements.

Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency
Corporate Affairs Directorate
D16
DVLA
Longview Road
Swansea
SA6 7JL

Pre-1960 Vehicles

I am writing to notify you of a change in legislation that may impact a number of your members.

From 18 November 2012, vehicles manufactured before 1 January 1960 will become exempt from the requirements to have a mandatory MoT test. I can confirm that these vehicles will still be required to be in a roadworthy condition when used on a public road. Keepers of pre-1960 vehicles will still be able to take a voluntary MOT test at all approved testing stations if they wish to do so.

This means that on or after 18 November 2012, keepers of vehicles who need to tax their pre-1960 vehicle(s) will not need to produce a valid MOT pass certificate when applying for a tax disc. Any application to tax via the Post Office or Local Office will require a completed V112 (Declaration of exemption from MoT testing) where the customer declares that their vehicle is exempt. In addition, the DVLA electronic vehicle licensing system will enable customers with pre-1960 vehicles to tax without a MoT from 18 November 2012.

This exemption will also apply to vehicles where a date of manufacture is not on the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) system, but the date of registration is recorded as being on or before 7 January 1960. We also apply this policy to the qualification criteria for the pre-1973 Vehicle Excise Duty exemption.

I can confirm that for these specific cases, DVLA will not accept general dating certificates as evidence to amend or update the date of manufacture. Such certificates will however, continue to be accepted for other purposes such as V765 claims and requests for age related numbers for recently restored or recently imported vehicles

I trust this explains the situation.

Yours sincerely

Claire Rush
Corporate Affairs Directorate

Posted for the assistance of Lambretta owners and members.

Paul Slack
LCGB Committee
Paul Slack

Return to Frequently Asked Questions