LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Surface rust inside fuel tank

Might be worth while looking in here first, as we post the most frequently asked questions within here!

Surface rust inside fuel tank

Postby sherpadean » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:26 pm

Hi every body,

Just before the website crash - I was about to start cleaning inside my 1966 125 Special fuel tank using Phosphoric acid as describe in the 'forum' - then the crash came & I hadn't noted the dilutions like a twit! Can my fellow lammy owners come to the rescue again please? :oops:

Thanks

Sherpadean
sherpadean

Re: Surface rust inside fuel tank

Postby Meds » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:07 pm

I got this idea from a biker website and it's the same principle we use when chemical cleaning boiler tubes at work.
I used some big round steel balls (like steel marbles from a kids building kit) to remove the worst of the rust, then used a 2% acid soak overnight, filtered checked and re soaked.
The acid mix is made up from bottles of vinegar and water, filtered it through an old white cotton shirt sleeve tucked inside a plastic funnel then kept re soaking and filtering until the acid came out clear. ( it took me about 4 days but mine was bad enough to block the petrol tap)
Clean the acid off with plenty of running water and dry it out ( I waited till the wife was out and stuck it in the fan oven for a couple of hours on a low heat.)
I used asda clear vinegar and a old white cotton shirt sleeve and drained it back into a clear bottle, this helps it to identify when the acid is running clear and how much crud is coming out.

It worked for me
Meds

Postby sherpadean » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:06 am

thanks for that 'Meds'

I'll let you know how I get on

Mike 'sherpa' Dean
sherpadean

Postby Skippy » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:19 am

Do you have the POR 15 tank cleaning kit over there yet?
Skippy

Postby sherpadean » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:24 am

Yes we do & I have just received one after going the phosphoric acid way with limited success...I'll keep you posted :D

Mike
sherpadean

Postby zugbug » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:34 pm

I used this tutorial and it worked brilliantly, my tank was spotless after the treatment and once sealed with POR15 from frosts I have never had any issues.
http://www.realclassic.co.uk/techfiles/petrol_tank_cleaning_and_rust_removal.html
zugbug

Postby Storkfoot » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:46 pm

^ agree. Have used this method twice with good results. Be careful though.
Storkfoot

Postby sunrisemac » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:58 pm

we use POR15 in old race car tanks that we want to use but don't want to replace , it works well
http://www.frost.co.uk/black-por15-por-starter-kit.html?gclid=COHhl5WXisICFarKtAodhjYAQw
sunrisemac

Postby dave411 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:41 pm

Mollases,mixed with water,soak for a week,rust gone,smells lush.Simples.
dave411

Postby rossclark » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:19 pm

dave411 wrote:Mollases,mixed with water,soak for a week,rust gone,smells lush.Simples.

What ratio you mixing that at?
rossclark

Postby sherpadean » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:08 pm

Poor result with Phosphoric acid so used the PQR method - Excellent result......

Thanks everybody for previous advice....................... ;)
sherpadean

Postby johnnyXS » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:52 pm

my tank had a very fine rust dust in it which blocked the new fast flow tank tap and the carb filter .

I just removed the tank put 2x litres of fuel in it along with a few cupfulls of course sand and fine grit and shook the living daylights out of it for 20 minutes :D
Worked a treat ....clean as a whistle...... mind you the fueltap filter is rubbish so I added an inline clear fuel filter to catch any residue dust or water and there hasn't been any yet
johnnyXS

Return to Frequently Asked Questions