LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Leg shield Badges

Might be worth while looking in here first, as we post the most frequently asked questions within here!

Leg shield Badges

Postby stonecat » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:39 pm

OK

So after my first complete renovation of my 1964 LI Special complete with new paint job etc, I have a question !

How the hell to you fix the new Legshield badges on to the new paintwork without making a complete dogs dinner of it ?

It looks like you are supposed to push the little metal pins through and then what - bash them over like a rivet ? or tap them in the middle to open them up like a flower ?

I cant see that either would look particularly good from the seat side !!

Any suggestions.

Stonecat
stonecat

Re: Leg shield Badges

Postby Jazzy b » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:33 pm

What I've done on my restos is I've mixed some clear resin glue then added a dab of the paint the same colour as scoot in it then put a drop over the pins putting tape over the badge till it goes of it works for me but more will be along shortly :shock:
Jazzy b

Postby Wack » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:42 pm

There's a proper tool but I clean the paint from the holes first then curve the badges to sit correctly. Then I ask the missus nicely to press a piece of softwood on the badge where the pin sits whilst I use a pointed punch to flair the pegs . Some pegs are too long so may need shortening first.
Wack

Postby Captain Pugwash » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:08 pm

As said bit of wood and a second pair of hands is the way most fit them.
But there's a tool that someone has remade to fit them, here's an eBay link to one such item.
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... ID=EBAY-GB

Not that I've ever used one of these tools
Captain Pugwash

Postby JETEX » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:39 am

I've got one of those tools but I find it a bit clumsy to use and it keeps slipping off. I find it's easier to get a second pair of hands as described above, centre pop the pins ( I have the correct punch for this ), and then touch in the pins with the same colour paint as the legshields.
JETEX

Postby dickie » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:46 am

I put a spare wheel behind the legshields to hide it. :D
dickie

Postby Blaginit » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:52 pm

Get some clear or white sticks like shxt from screw fix expensive but brilliant glue tape in place until dry
Blaginit

Return to Frequently Asked Questions