LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Movie: Empire of Light and the scooter run scene

Whether you have seen an advert on the tv, a program ude on, sales leaflets, web sites, or other, discuss all forms of Lambretta media material in here.

Movie: Empire of Light and the scooter run scene

Postby GRTDKAD » Sat Jun 24, 2023 10:26 am

Watched the 2022 movie ‘Empire of Light’ with my missus last night. Good movie about the workers at a cinema in Margate in 1980/81 Thatcher’s Britain. Good cast, Toby Jones, Olivia Coleman etc
A focus on relationships, racism and day to day bigotry faced by cinema worker and Rude Boy which comes to a head when the scooter rally comes to town.
Scooters, lots of them : Looked great until the skins appear and kick the doors in and violence escalates.
Accurate? I recall in the North East in 80/81 the scooters were mainly in mod ownership and we’d have run-ins with the local skins (more often than not).
I know scooter ownership evolved since but 80/81 I reckon the movie, while good, was a bit lazy suggesting the scooter rallies were a platform for skinheads, NF etc. Thoughts?

Any clubs or anyone on here called in to the film as an extra?
GRTDKAD

Re: Movie: Empire of Light and the scooter run scene

Postby missing lynx » Sat Jun 24, 2023 1:32 pm

Not seen the film yet but I remember we use to have all sorts of trouble with NF boneheads in the late 70's early 80's they were nothing to do with the scooter scene but use to turn up for trouble in Brighton (near where I'm for) most weekends unless there team was playing. Another curse were "casuals" in cars they use to drive around looking for mods/scooterboys to harass so the adoption of casual culture into the scooter scene surprises me but that's another story
missing lynx

Postby GRTDKAD » Sat Jun 24, 2023 5:17 pm

Thanks ML. What you’ve said, was same in the north.
Anyway, that was the only thing that let the movie down imo, otherwise worth watching.
Would have helped even if there was a 10s pause to make it clear that when the scooters were in town the skins were often not far behind.
GRTDKAD

Postby GT Guy » Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:23 pm

I worked on that movie but was driving my camper van in it. I was offered a ride on a scooter but it was a long way to go just to do that. I think you’re right in that the mods and skins would probably be having it with each other rather than appearing as one. I think it was a bit of naivety on the film makers part. I did notice a few other incorrect things whilst there. That said, I had the privilege of seeing Sam Mendes give direction to the skinhead lads who harassed Michael award in a scene that I ended up being in. Great experience and well paid
GT Guy

Return to Lambretta in the media