LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

PWK

Want to know which carb to choose? Having problems setting up the jetting details on your scooter? Wheter you are using a standard or tuned carb, ask your question here.

PWK

Postby Cgt75b » Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:45 pm

Hi folks

Where is the best place to buy a PWK carb please?

Cheers

Cgt75b.
Cgt75b

Re: PWK

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:32 am

That's not an easy question to answer. All that I can do is to try & state my own experiences.

Years ago, I took a punt on a licensed PWK made by OKO secondhand from a parts-fair for a tenner which I loaned out to WT No.2 who subsequently bought into the PWK ethos with a 34 mm Chinese knock-off. TBH it ran incredibly well, even better when I'd blueprinted it & procured the smaller pilot jets necessary for a mildly tuned 200 running a DIY foam filter. However, as these carburettors definitely 'fight above their weight' he fitted another 30 mm bootleg with no perceptible loss in performance. IMHO these carburettors are that good that the venturi size is not hyper-critical & they will deliver well if the time is taken to set them up, which is not difficult. For the record, I've used pilot jet sizes down to 32 on piston port engines & in the 50's for reed valve cylinders.

Despite my personal findings that the Chinese copies that my mate acquired are by no means shabby, & assuming you want the smaller sizes, I'd still be inclined to go for Koso, OKO, Stage6 or (new to me) ZSDTRP though it is notable that Polini have bought into the concept. In fact, currently 20 quid gets you an unused ZSDTRP 32 mm PWK on eBay & I'd have no misgivings about the choke size being too big.....

I hope my response somehow helps but the question is a bit open ended. I'm happy to elaborate on needle, main jet & what I think of power jetting.

As for Keihin, undoubtedly the larger sizes are highly rated elsewhere & I have an untested 39 mm. But they have a major shortcoming. They do not have a replaceable needle jet/atomiser so when that wears, the whole carburettor is worn. I see that as a challenge & hope to prove that an atomiser from another manufacturer will be persuaded to fit, precisely as I've done to an old VHB in converting to two stroke.
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby ULC Soulagent » Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:37 pm

Cgt75b wrote:Hi folks

Where is the best place to buy a PWK carb please?

Cheers

Cgt75b.

Flebay cheap Chinese copy once blueprinted is a decent carb as recommended by WT1 above ;)
ULC Soulagent

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:54 pm

just to add....it is a fact that the sets of jets on eBay are unlikely to be as accurate as genuine, but, for all that, as long as they are used as comparators ie try one, then go up or down, they will work just fine. i bought Stage6 jet sets which were still a significant saving.

I'd advise an inline fuel filter with a PWK which is probably sensible with any carburettor.
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby Fast n Furious » Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:33 pm

+1
There is a plethora of pretender makes out there and a lot of them can be persuaded to work very well with minimal effort. Best to make sure that your choice has the cutaway at the top of the spray tube. If it's a flat top then it was mean't for a 4 stroke.
For sub £50, I would just replace the whole dam thing when it wears out. Even these cheap carbs are likely to outlast me. So, not much point in me considering that issue much further really!. :o :lol: :lol:
I've used "Nibbi" pwk copy carbs which work well and look good on open panel scoots. Price has gone up a lot lately though. :(
Fast n Furious

Postby Cgt75b » Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:23 pm

Thanks folks

This site looks interesting

www.pedparts.co.uk
Cgt75b

Return to Carburettors