LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

base setting

Want to know which carb to choose? Having problems setting up the jetting details on your scooter? Wheter you are using a standard or tuned carb, ask your question here.

base setting

Postby avanti » Sun May 05, 2024 5:55 pm

Hi everyone , first time out on my fresh GP rebuild jet barrel yam piston reed valve by Harry Barlow , running 30mm pbh and avanti ST .
with a static vape @ 18 btdc
I have CHT threaded in the CH , on first ride it was running at 171C which I thought was danger hot .
any one go a similar set up that could give me a safe running temperature, that i can use a bench mark before i start changing carb settings.

tks in advance
and KTF
avanti

Re: base setting

Postby dickie » Sun May 05, 2024 7:52 pm

Where and how is your sensor mounted? It makes a massive difference.
dickie

Re: base setting

Postby Fast n Furious » Mon May 06, 2024 2:21 am

There are just too many variables and unknowns here to provide a constructive opinion.
Just as a heads up tho....... if you are using a SIP clock, be aware that even though the temp scale on these clocks go up to 250 celcius, the thermocouple is only rated to 150 celcius. You can tell if the thermocouple is stressed damaged by observing the reading on a cold engine, which should be more or less the same as the surrounding environment. Over time, this abient reading will show as much higher. :o
Time for a new thermocouple or a better instrument.

I got about 6K miles out of my sip thermocouple before it went wayward and the maximum observed temp before it went tits up, was no more than 150C. The tip of the thermocouple sits 3mm above the centre of the combustion chamber.
Fast n Furious

Return to Carburettors