LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

PHBL carbs again - sorry!

Want to know which carb to choose? Having problems setting up the jetting details on your scooter? Wheter you are using a standard or tuned carb, ask your question here.

PHBL carbs again - sorry!

Postby 2ndtimearound » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:24 pm

I have had my S2 TV175 set up on a dyno, but it still runs very rich at low speeds, 4 stroking/missing - 25/40 in top gear & is almost unrideable in traffic & the tickover is too high & the bike stalls if I reduce it. I know I could take it back, but I thought that a change of idle jet would sort it.
When I took the carb apart (25mm phbl) to see what was fitted, it was 96 main, slide 40 with D26 needle on 2nd groove up, an AQ264 atomiser, 80 idlejet & 60 choke. If I put in a 60 idlejet, it runs fine at low speeds, but again the problem seems to be tickover & over-run when the throttle is closed indicating a weak mixture. I have just tried a bigger atomiser - AQ266 (even an AQ268 ) with the 60 idle jet to see if that would richen the mixture at low speeds enough to stop the over run, but it doesn`t seem to make any difference. :?
The airbox is a wide neck undrilled one & I have tried standard & mesh filters - another waste of time & money! Exhaust is the usual clubman. The engine is more or less standard but the transfer ports have been smoothed.
Looking at the site here, there is obviously no standard setting of jets, but even so they all seem to be in the same area apart from the 80 idle jet.
Anyone got a brainwave that I could try - I have wondered if there may be an air leak under the manifold, but that was "professionally" fitted just a few weeks ago, so should be ok.?
If there`s anyone in the Harwich area who`s up for a challenge, they are more than welcome to have a play! It`s cost me a small fortune in jets etc & I`m no further forward. :? :cry:
I know I shouldn`t say this on here, but it`s a pleasure to start up my LML 4T which ticks over straight away & just goes well - it`s great, even if the rubberware is cr*p & falls to bits after about 2 months!!

Tuesday 2nd
Thanks for your replies lads - I was thinking it must be an air leak, but it was the thought of taking footboards off & dropping the engine etc. as it is probably at the inlet/cylinder joint as the manifold has only just been put on with the carb when it was dyno`d!!!
Anyway last night I "bit the bullet" & it`s now all in bits & I`m waiting on a new gasket from MB. I have rubbed down the manifold face but it wasn`t far out. When I get it back together I`ll let you know what happens. If it`s still running rough & weak I shall be really p*ssed off! I`ll probably have to start again with the smaller atomiser (AQ264) & see where I go from there. :roll:

Thursday 4th
Just put the new inlet manifold gasket on with a smear of blue Hylomar sealant, put the idle jet back to a 60 & the small atomiser (AQ264) back in, kicked the bike over & all seems about right again even with the engine cold it wasn`t ticking over too bad, so I`ll have a ride on it asap & see what it`s like on the road & make a few fine adjustments hopefully. When I took it to bits, the "professionals" had taken off my standard manifold, put on the PHBL manifold & used the old gasket with loads of jollop & I guess that`s where the air was getting in! :o

Friday 5th,
Fantastic! Back to normal just about, maybe a bit rich still, so I will try the 55 idle jet again & hopefully that should be near enough. I wouldn`t have thought that a small air leak would give so much grief, but I shouldn`t have been so lazy & should have taken the inlet off sooner as my brain kept telling me that was the problem, but I thought that a pro. wouldn`t make a mistake like that by using an old gasket & loads of goo, but just goes to show!
So, for those who are interested at all, it`s a TV175 with cleaned up ports, wide neck airbox with no drilling, I`ve got a normal air filter in (I`ve taken the mesh one out). It has been fitted with a 25mm PHBL carb with 60 idlejet (but I will try a 55 to see if that improves 4 stroking on very slow running) 96 main, 40 slide with D26 needle on 2nd groove up, AQ264 atomiser & 60 choke. :D :D :D

Sunday 21st
Finally (Ithink!!!!) I have found the problem. When the MB inlet manifold was fitted, the long bolt didn`t quite line up with the thread, so the only way to get it to start was to lift the manifold a bit & jiggle it, then the bolt could be tightened. The trouble was that when it was "jiggled" one edge lifted over the cylinder cooling fin slightly & so the manifold could not be tightened squarely & so there has always been an air leak. I was just not able to see this until I took the engine out of the bike. :roll: The MB manifold is a bit meatier than the standard item & the flat machined face of the cylinder for the manifold to sit on wasn`t quite big enough on my replacement cylinder. I cut about an eighth of an inch off the material under the fin & filed it flat to match the machined face of the cylinder & now the manifold bolt goes in without any fuss. I could have filed a bit off the side of the alloy MB manifold but didn`t want to make the wall too thin & wanted a good wide sealing face. I would have loaded a couple of photos, but after about six failed attempts gave up, so if anyone wants to see it, let me know & I`ll email it to you!!
Now, I`m down from a 60 to a 48 idle jet - a 45 was a bit too weak & 50 a bit too rich - so I`ll see how it goes, but it`s now not far off & a pleasure to ride again. :D :D :D :D :D :D
Last edited by 2ndtimearound on Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
2ndtimearound

Re: PHBL carbs again - sorry!

Postby Mag » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:03 pm

80 sounds massive for a pilot jet, 60 sounds large. I run very happily with a 55.

Do you have an air leak somewhere?
Mag

Postby Knowledge » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:05 pm

+1.

Perhaps you have two problems: an over-large pilot jet and an air leak.
Knowledge

Postby hullygully » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:07 am

had a go @ a mates 175 last night with a phbl 25 delly with remote & st/steel expansion box, his was as rough as sh*t, very wea :o k, played with air screw @ rear of carb to 2 1/2 turns out & heh presto......... his pilot is 55
anuva mates rapido has same carb,filter box & st/steel expansion his is running weak as he's got a 55 pilot, his needs 60/80 pilot :roll:
hullygully

Postby hullygully » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:46 am

we just found out that for a year & a half we've being trying to sort a mates rapido 225 out :shock: , running a PHBL 25 delly, & he had a pilot in from a SH1/SH2 range :oops: :oops: :roll: :evil: :evil: , we'd even being to a well known northern Lambretta dealer 2 Easters ago to get a larger pilot for it :roll: :lol: , good job we'd just talked to Chiggy about why he'd sent us the wrong pilots :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
hullygully

Postby pip » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:12 pm

Junk the air box I couldn't get my PHBL carb set up properly running through it, Im running it open now and the difference is brilliant or you could put a remote filter on it.
pip

Return to Carburettors