LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Air Vent or Not ???

Want to know which carb to choose? Having problems setting up the jetting details on your scooter? Wheter you are using a standard or tuned carb, ask your question here.

Air Vent or Not ???

Postby Pikey01 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:40 pm

Hi, looking for some advice.
I'm running a 186 Mugello on a GP125 (Indian) with a 28mm Dellorto PHBH28 with no air filter and a closed panel (no holes).
The problem I have is the carb is spitting a hell of a lot of crap all over the inside of my side panel and potentially dripping onto the exhaust :shock:
I'm also concerned the carb isn't able to breath properly being so close (touching) the side panel although running the scoot appears to be fine except when idle does tend to stall a lot.

Well before I cut a bloody hole in my panel, it's also been custom sprayed (see pics) and I'm not keen on putting a hole in the panel unless I have to.
I do feel if a hole is needed then some of the readily available vent covers on the market do look good so I guess I'm just after your opinions really.

Thanks in advance
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pikey01

Re: Air Vent or Not ???

Postby Rich Oswald » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:05 pm

Why no filter, is that your choice or is it because you don't feel there is room? If you got a shorter manifold then a filter would cure the problem and I don't think you would notice any loss in power. It may or may not need re jetting with a filter as this would slightly richen it up. You should be able to run this set up without cutting a hole in the panel,

Rich'
Rich Oswald

Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Postby Pikey01 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:20 pm

Hi Rich,

I've only just moved back over from Australia and had the scoot a few weeks and haven't really had a chance to carry out a proper inspection with the panels off etc.
I've just been happily making the most of the fine British weather and riding it as much as I can until the weather turns again and it's the reason I'm finding these little issues.
I didn't check the manifold to be honest but its certainly an option I want to look into.
I plan on booking a dyno run soon anyway so reducing the manifold and (if needed) re-jetting shouldn't be a problem on the rolling road.

Appreciate your advice mate, that's why I put the thread on here, more help here than anywhere else I suppose......

Thanks mate
Pikey01

Postby hullygully » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:34 pm

INSTEAD OF A MASSIVE HOLE TAFFSPEED RECOMENDED ONLY A 10mm HOLE, WHICH I'VE HAD IN MY TS1's SIDE CAN FOR YEARS
hullygully

Return to Carburettors