LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Drilled airbox dilemma

Want to know which carb to choose? Having problems setting up the jetting details on your scooter? Wheter you are using a standard or tuned carb, ask your question here.

Re: Drilled airbox dilemma

Postby duncan1958 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:45 pm

A good number of the fork spring compressors are sub standard and require fettling to work properly .
A member posted some time ago how to make up a simple tool to do a much better job.
Same person may well have made up the flywheel holding tool which I made and is very good .
The fork spring tool is on my to make list as and when its required.
duncan1958

Postby Meds » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:35 pm

Just reading your earlier post about fitting a Rapido 225.
Here are my experiences.
I have the race version, fitted a 28mm delly and an MB clubman exhaust running 19/46 GP 200 gearing.
It pulled 70 top whack (GPS) but out climed all the other scoots I rode with and I'm 15st.
The drawback is that it gets about 40mpg so had to fit a bigger tank to get anywhere.
I'm having a Reed valve fitted at the moment which will help the fuel consumption and should pay for itself in fuel/oil economy.
But fitting an aftermarket reed brings it into line with TS1 costs.
As I was re-doing the crank & bottom end anyway the difference between a Rapido and TS1 were purely down to the cylinder/carb costings.
Meds

Postby Egee » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:46 pm

duncan1958 wrote:A good number of the fork spring compressors are sub standard and require fettling to work properly .
A member posted some time ago how to make up a simple tool to do a much better job.
Same person may well have made up the flywheel holding tool which I made and is very good .
The fork spring tool is on my to make list as and when its required.

I did get a post earlier this summer with a link to a homemade fork compressor, this could be the one you're thinking about.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=144&p=538&hilit=fork+spring#p538
Not had time to think about making one yet, was hoping someone would give me a lead to a first class off the shelf compressor - still waiting :cry:
Egee

Postby Egee » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:55 pm

Meds wrote:Just reading your earlier post about fitting a Rapido 225.
Here are my experiences.
I have the race version, fitted a 28mm delly and an MB clubman exhaust running 19/46 GP 200 gearing.
It pulled 70 top whack (GPS) but out climed all the other scoots I rode with and I'm 15st.
The drawback is that it gets about 40mpg so had to fit a bigger tank to get anywhere.
I'm having a Reed valve fitted at the moment which will help the fuel consumption and should pay for itself in fuel/oil economy.
But fitting an aftermarket reed brings it into line with TS1 costs.
As I was re-doing the crank & bottom end anyway the difference between a Rapido and TS1 were purely down to the cylinder/carb costings.

Just taken delivery of 225 Rapido race with Mahle piston. Also, swapped SX crankshaft for a Racing 58 x 107 GP model. I'm sticking with the 22mm Dellorto for now, but will need re-jetting I'm sure. The gearing is rather tall, had to put a 14 T front socket to give me a 4.8:1 final ratio. Looking at buying a 48mm clubman exhaust. Not sure when I'll get it altogether to see how the set up performs. Just hoping that what I'm doing falls in the realm of previous attempts by others. :)
Egee

Previous

Return to Carburettors