LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

PHBL flooding

Want to know which carb to choose? Having problems setting up the jetting details on your scooter? Wheter you are using a standard or tuned carb, ask your question here.

PHBL flooding

Postby Tractorman » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:41 pm

I have a starting problem with a PHBL25 when the engine is hot but fine when cold. It does not start well when hot unless you turn the fuel off well before you stop. It will start but either stalls or runs (do you call it 4 stroking) slowly until the surplus fuel is burnt then it revs up. Someone suggested it was spitting back into the air hose and putting a drain pipe in the hose would cure it but alas not the case. The system is breathing through a standard airbox and filter. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Tractorman

Re: PHBL flooding

Postby Raveydavey » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:57 pm

Checked the float and needle are ok? If the floats knackered it won't lift the needle and so fuel won't get shut off when the bowl is full
Raveydavey

Postby Tractorman » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:56 pm

Strangely enough one of the floats had flooded with fuel and was replaced but it made no difference.
Tractorman

Postby Captain Pugwash » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:14 pm

Tractorman wrote:Strangely enough one of the floats had flooded with fuel and was replaced but it made no difference.

Check the float valve is fully seated onto its gasket, I've had a couple of dellorto carbs where the valve seat wasn't fully tightened.
10mm socket from memory I think.
Captain Pugwash

Postby Tractorman » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:00 am

Captain Pugwash wrote:
Tractorman wrote:Strangely enough one of the floats had flooded with fuel and was replaced but it made no difference.

Check the float valve is fully seated onto its gasket, I've had a couple of dellorto carbs where the valve seat wasn't fully tightened.
10mm socket from memory I think.

I will look at this area later today, another scooter guru as pointed the fuel valve as a possible cause.
Tractorman

Postby Tractorman » Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:21 pm

Swoped float valve with one off the other scooter and still the same. I have discovered it starts ok with the air hose removed.
Tractorman

Postby Scooter Paul » Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:43 pm

What air box do you have fitted? I've used two of these carbs and have had to drill the airbox to get them to breathe properly.

Paul
Scooter Paul

Postby Tractorman » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:54 pm

Scooter Paul wrote:What air box do you have fitted? I've used two of these carbs and have had to drill the airbox to get them to breathe properly.

Paul

I drilled airbox with more holes than recommended.
Tractorman

Postby hullygully » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:13 am

you haven't said what your set up is? we've had / on goin probs round here with 25mm Dellys with a 225 rapido & a well tuned 175 thro air boxes.
are you sure the rest of your jetting's ok?
hullygully

Postby Tractorman » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:16 pm

Yes.
Tractorman

Return to Carburettors