LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

carb and air filter combo

Want to know which carb to choose? Having problems setting up the jetting details on your scooter? Wheter you are using a standard or tuned carb, ask your question here.

carb and air filter combo

Postby kalifornia » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:29 pm

I'm running a TS1 with a Readspeed manifold (they told me I'd get a stack filter on with it which I can't) on my full bodied LiS. I dont want to cut the panels and am fed up of runner boards covered with 2 stroke. Is there a 30mm carb and filter combination that will work? I'm currently using a 30mm PHBH which is quite a wide bodied carb so a filter won't fit. I've tried the 2 panel filters from MB and neither are any use. The flat one doesn't touch the panel all the way around so doesn't actually filter anything and the cone shaped one just chokes the scooter to death.

Cheers
kalifornia

Re: carb and air filter combo

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:58 pm

I empathise with you! Although I run 'only' a Rapido (Ø71 mm x 61 mm) with a hybrid VHB 30 mm & a 'short as it will go' manifold. Without something on the carb, there is the constant mess on the floorboard that manages to get through the gap. Like you, I don't want to cut the panel.

However, I presume you've tried just the Innocenti GP/DL (Ø22 mm SH2) bellows without filter? When I tried that, the bike got 'choked' even trying without any kind of filter.

You may have room for a 'Breathe Sweet' set up that may work for you. Presumably you were hoping to receive comment from forum users that have that precise arrangement.

I think the Keihin PWK generic design of carburettor is more compact. Polini now produce their own &, of course, there is OKO(?), an example of which I have loaned to somebody.

How much room do you have? Can you measure the distance from the carb to the panel, please? I wonder if the best solution I could find for my bike would work for you....
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby Captain Pugwash » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:13 pm

I don't get it, you take away the heart of the engine the original barrel & piston and head remove the original carb manifold air box and filter then fit a TS1 and most likely have a non standard exhaust crank clutch and whatever else needed updating but can't remove a couple of inches or sheet metal from a panel to fit a filter, most likely because it doesn't "look standard" :?:
Captain Pugwash

Postby dickie » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:37 pm

Captain Pugwash wrote:I don't get it, you take away the heart of the engine the original barrel & piston and head remove the original carb manifold air box and filter then fit a TS1 and most likely have a non standard exhaust crank clutch and whatever else needed updating but can't remove a couple of inches or sheet metal from a panel to fit a filter, most likely because it doesn't "look standard" :?:

It doesn't matter if anyone gets it or not! I don't get mods, choppers murals or engraving, but I'll bet those who like it don't necessarily like what I like.

As someone on here's signature says "each to their own lad'. :D
dickie

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:52 pm

I don't get it, you take away the heart of the engine the original barrel & piston and head remove the original carb manifold air box and filter then fit a TS1 and most likely have a non standard exhaust crank clutch and whatever else needed updating but can't remove a couple of inches or sheet metal from a panel to fit a filter, most likely because it doesn't "look standard" :?:

There are many, strange contradictions within this 'community' of ours.

'Each to their own' is a good view to bear in mind.

There's all kinds of practices that go on some must wonder about.

I'll hold my hand up & admit that I don't get the semi-hydraulic front brake idea as I can see the hydraulic line. I wonder @ the lengths people go to in making their machines appear so 'period' then have electronic ignitions. I'm sure there's a lot more to be said....

Back to the original question, I wonder if there are filters/elbows that will function as requested....
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby dickie » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:16 pm

Financially unpleasant but what about selling the phbh in favour of a keihin or mikuni tmx30?

I think the lth manifold is the shortest and mb one is pretty short too.

Then a breathe sweet?

I'm interested as I'm building a ts1 225 and want a filter and uncut panel too. And I'll bet you thought I was being impartial.
dickie

Postby Captain Pugwash » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:27 pm

Room is very tight under the panel with a TS1 fitted whichever carb/manifold combination you choose, other than a foam filter stuck to the panel I don't think there's anything that you can fit. But you would likely have a larger pool of oil on the footboard.

Maybe a rubber elbow could be fitted facing up to help stop the spit back but from what I don't know, it's going to be right up against the panel.

I can understand that you want to keep it standard looking with an uncut panel a TS1 doesn't make it easy for you if you want to fit a filter, the GT kit or a Rapido or pretty much any kit that has the carb on the original side will give room for a remote filter with the right manifold and carb, but a TS1 or similar doesn't leave much space under the panel, on a series 1 or 2 there might be a couple more mills of space but not much more.
Last edited by Captain Pugwash on Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Pugwash

Postby MickYork » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:34 pm

changing to a flat slide carb' will give better performance and should leave more room for a filter........in theory :?
MickYork

Postby Rich Oswald » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:33 pm

This was my solution on the left hand side although if you have a long range tank it won't apply:-

I cut an old Indian air box down from top to bottom so with a standard tank you have loads more room for the filter and it also works more efficiently as you are getting forced air down the scoop allowing it to breath better.

From the other side it looks completely standard.

This has worked extremely well for me on my Rapido 225 Classic, 30mmPHBH and BGM Clubman

Rich'
Rich Oswald

Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Postby kalifornia » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:08 pm

Well thanks for your replies guys, whatever your opinion. There is about 10mm of clear space between the PHBH and panel so nowhere near enough for a GP200 elbow (I've already tried). Other than the puddle of oil on the runner board, inside of panel and all over the engine, it's the amount of grit and shit stuck to said oil on the inside of the panel that's scaring me! If it gets that far, at some point it's going in the carb! Seizure City!!!
I dont want to cut my panel because my paint is nice and it'll allow it to start rusting.
According to the LTH website, their extra short TS1 manifold with a Mikuni TMX32 (or 30 I presume?) Will allow the use of a Tino Sacchi rubber elbow and long foam stack filter.
Time to start saving.
kalifornia

Postby dickie » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:17 pm

kalifornia wrote:Well thanks for your replies guys, whatever your opinion. There is about 10mm of clear space between the PHBH and panel so nowhere near enough for a GP200 elbow (I've already tried). Other than the puddle of oil on the runner board, inside of panel and all over the engine, it's the amount of grit and shit stuck to said oil on the inside of the panel that's scaring me! If it gets that far, at some point it's going in the carb! Seizure City!!!
I dont want to cut my panel because my paint is nice and it'll allow it to start rusting.
According to the LTH website, their extra short TS1 manifold with a Mikuni TMX32 (or 30 I presume?) Will allow the use of a Tino Sacchi rubber elbow and long foam stack filter.
Time to start saving.

That's the solution I'm thinking about for my TS1 for exactly the same reason. In the meantime why not use a grit filter (about £3 on ebay or make from an old sieve) to stop birds and small mammals getting in?
dickie

Postby Toddy » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:15 pm

kalifornia wrote:Well thanks for your replies guys, whatever your opinion. There is about 10mm of clear space between the PHBH and panel so nowhere near enough for a GP200 elbow (I've already tried). Other than the puddle of oil on the runner board, inside of panel and all over the engine, it's the amount of grit and shit stuck to said oil on the inside of the panel that's scaring me! If it gets that far, at some point it's going in the carb! Seizure City!!!
Time to start saving.

Try Jimmers on here he does a cheaper version of The Shortened manifold , good quality, a tad cheaper as well ,I have one fitted on my GP
Toddy

Postby kalifornia » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:36 pm

Cheers
kalifornia

Postby kalifornia » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:38 pm

I've just searched members for Jimmers and can't find him. Have you got a link or can you point me in the right direction please Toddy? Cheers
kalifornia

Postby Toddy » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:50 pm

kalifornia wrote:I've just searched members for Jimmers and can't find him. Have you got a link or can you point me in the right direction please Toddy? Cheers

Jimmers is a moderator on here have a look at global moderators at the bottom of the index page buddy
Toddy

Postby kalifornia » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:56 pm

Ah, will do. Many thanks. A
BTW, are you the Toddy that built an RB200 motor for John Collins?
kalifornia

Postby Toddy » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:01 pm

kalifornia wrote:Ah, will do. Many thanks. A
BTW, are you the Toddy that built an RB200 motor for John Collins?

No worries , don't think so Unless it's one he bought that I built
Toddy

Postby kalifornia » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:19 pm

Oh, sorry, just noticed your location is north. The Toddy I'm talking about is from Leamington Spa.
kalifornia

Postby jonw » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:53 am

Am I missing something... surely if you have fuel all over your running board from carb spray or spit back, the fitting of an air filter will just make the excess fuel/oil pool in the base of the filters elbow and cause other problems?
jonw

Return to Carburettors