LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Clutch issues...

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

Re: Clutch issues...

Postby rossclark » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:17 pm

I build one a year or two back where I was getting slippage on kicking it over - the moulding that the plunger sits in was too proud and catching on the centre plate of the clutch - puzzled me for a few days till I spotted a small witness mark on the casting.
rossclark

Postby Andy B.L.C. » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:11 pm

Nice 1 Ross, cheerz for sharing! Without wanting to embarrass myself BUT... When I fitted a new clutch quadrant arm (taken straight off) on this build (the old one was massively worn) I made the Lambretta novice mistake of not kicking over before fitting the exhaust. It was at this point that I should have (did) realised that it was a clutch issue but couldn't comprehend how a brand new big bux unit could be the issue. As before I didn't order the parts, but as a five plate the Readspeed clutch pressure plate wasn't pulled in deeply enough to avoid clutch slip, the plus 1 six plate is a pure joy & even I, with white finger etc issues can use it round town with no issues.

How ever many years of experience we may have of being elbow deep in Lambretta's there's always summat new to throw us...

So CONFESSION.... I so didn't realise how inexcusably poor (cheese like & nowhere near fitting...) the standard of remade parts are. As I'm not a serial rebuilder etc I've thus far got away with the few spares that havn't got lost or lent out along the way... My fave from this learning curve is that, to cure serious play in the clutch arm (shagged splines & badly worn clutch arm shaft), the brand new clutch arm shaft would have had to have been hammered into position, it was such a bad fit & would then have been seized solid useless :roll:
Andy B.L.C.

Postby Andy B.L.C. » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:04 pm

Storm Caroline (think that was this w.ends one, do keep on being in denial...) took out the leccy on the Shiny Red industrial estate. So no dyno run, but more fun on the RB for me... :D
Andy B.L.C.

Postby Andy B.L.C. » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:35 pm

So on the home straight to the week end & the end game of a dyno run at Shiny Red Tuning in Stroud. Six drive train rebuilds & a yellow weather system later, my gloves weighed 1.5 kg's after the last (leccy out on the industrial estate that SRT is based on) attempt to get dynoed, the weather looks like it may even play nice this time... :)

So ladies & gents place your bets...

RB20, AF pipe, 28mil Delli, 6 plate Readspeed Red Devil clutch, Anthony Tambs stator, SIL lightened flywheel. Given the ingredients what kind of dyno readings might peeps be expecting...? (no prizes mind ;) )

Results (hopefully) Sat :D
Andy B.L.C.

Postby dscscotty » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:08 am

Which AF Pipe ?
Depending on dyno, and set up RB20's usually around 22-24ish bhp torque 17-18ish depending again largely on pipe
dscscotty

Postby ULC Soulagent » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:05 am

18.6 bhp :mrgreen:
ULC Soulagent

Postby Andy B.L.C. » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:41 pm

Think it's an Nk Scotty... Why the lower reading Shane, is it due to the, what I've previously been told, low reading dyno @ Shiny? (a Mod m8's SS200 went from 14.47 bhp on a BGM box pipe to 22.83 bhp with an (I think) CSR pipe... Proper looking forward to tomorrow :D Got to get up earlier than planned to tighten up the forks, but the weather looks to be playing nice & some Bristol LC clubmates have been allowed to come out to play 8-) The last dyno run (Sat 3rd Oct) was aborted due to storm Alex 'weather' outing the leccy on the industrial estate that SRT is based, apparently the highest recorded rainfall since records began in 1891...! I was informed in time but was going on to visit a mate, & Lambretta lady to be... The auto Pig agio plan, turned into a Primmy idea (not bad) & may well have 'developed' into a DL 125 deal... GWAAAN K, just do it! :D On getting home my gloves weighed 1.5 kgs... :lol:
Andy B.L.C.

Postby ULC Soulagent » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:50 am

Again it depends on which Nk pipe is used Andy, If race then I’ll say 20+, if road then I’ll stick to original 18.6 ;)
I’d say the SS kit would be an massive improvement over the Muggy kit in my eyes anyway hence ur bigger Hp reading although it’s the pipe that suited too that kit will make it sing :D
Looking forward for results ;)
ULC Soulagent

Postby Solid Air » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:50 am

Don't leave it till the early hours to post the results Andy ;)
Solid Air

Postby Andy B.L.C. » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:58 pm

If I weren't so knackd I'd bung this up next Weds :lol:

PFFF... Well another epic fail later...

Was hoping to sign off with 'the end'

The brand new stator plate shat itself, the mad misfires were summat else... (ignition coil right?, just collecting enough opinions/words to tell the owner of the engine what/why he should add a new variable ignition to his shopping list, do it once, do it right...)

TBC (yawn...)
Andy B.L.C.

Postby Andy B.L.C. » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:53 am

Was still hitting 20 bhp even with the melting leccy issue...
Andy B.L.C.

Postby Fast n Furious » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:56 am

IMO all new CDI stator LT coils need to be reworked to make them reliable before you use them.
It's not worth taking the risk.
Fast n Furious

Postby Andy B.L.C. » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:23 am

New A. T. units included...?
Andy B.L.C.

Postby dickie » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:55 am

Fast n Furious wrote:IMO all new CDI stator LT coils need to be reworked to make them reliable before you use them.
It's not worth taking the risk.

IMO the LT coil is the real Achilles heel. That's why I only use full DC.
dickie

Postby dscscotty » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:39 pm

Stick a Vape on it, you'll never have another ignition fault again, ;)
dscscotty

Postby Andy B.L.C. » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:31 pm

That was Shiny Gary's advice & has been passed on to the owner... ;)
Andy B.L.C.

Postby ULC Soulagent » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:27 pm

So is this dyno going on Shiny utube?
ULC Soulagent

Postby Andy B.L.C. » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:06 pm

Way too embarassing that... :roll: Waiting on the word as to whether a Vape will be the jigsaw finishing cherry on top / make the time spent worth it... Don't worry I'll be sure to post it as & when :lol: 4 Bristol Lambretta Club types were however successfully dynoed that day; a Rapido 225, RT 225, TS1 230 & an SST 265 :D I'm sure Gary will get the footage up... ;)
Andy B.L.C.

Postby Andy B.L.C. » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:04 pm

Vape on the way ( ;) ), with a cherry on top (3rd attempt!) dyno run to follow... :D
Andy B.L.C.

Postby Andy B.L.C. » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:37 am

Not wanting to be an advertising tart...(jungs tut mir mal Geld ab, oder wat! ;) ) but that SIP Vape ignition was a game changer on this ongoing RB20 issues forum post (2 other ignition systems had died...)... The very soon to be posted Shiny Red Bristol L.C. visit vid might show it... The ride home proved it :D 20 bhp / 15 summat torque so very useable in the real world... The end :lol:
Andy B.L.C.

PreviousNext

Return to Tuning & Kits