LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Which gearbox?

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

Which gearbox?

Postby dickie » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:39 pm

I'm building a RT230 reed motor. It will be run with avanti ex box clubman and phbh30. So a broad spread of power.

It's not a race bike, nor do I do huge miles, mostly local country roads with my mate on his Suzuki gs850 (he's a sedate rider) for breakfast, then home. I very rarely ride more than, say 60 miles in a day.

There are 2 obvious choices for gearbox. Indian GP200 or AF 5 speed. The 5 speed seems to be the obvious choice but with a reed, slightly long stroke crank and clubman power curve, is it simply more expensive for no real world gain? I can see the advantages for peaky motors, especially if used for touring, but neither apply to me.

Experience or thoughts please?
dickie

Re: Which gearbox?

Postby St George » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:34 pm

In April's Scootering page 108, there is a write up on a BSSO Proddy Engine strip down. There was nothing derogatory about the SIL GP 200 gearbox in this interesting article. I have had two GP 200 gear boxes and have never had problems.
St George

Postby ULC Soulagent » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:01 pm

I run neither in my engines so have no experience with them, out of my 5 Jet200 engines that I have ( 3 Rt230 reedvalved, 2 have sx200 gearbox 15/46 and the other one has an Mb 5speed) the other two engines have Ts1230 running sx200 15/46. All 5 engines are a pleasure too ride setup for touring. I’d go for the gp considering what ur using it for :)
ULC Soulagent

Postby Rich Oswald » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:20 pm

Indian GP200 with a 19 front sprocket.
Rich Oswald

Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Postby dickie » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:37 pm

Thanks gents. That's what I was hoping you'd say. :D

And I'll go with 19 x 47 rich.

Too easy to get sucked into buying something you don't really need.
dickie

Postby Tractorman » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:11 pm

I have using an Indian GP200 gearbox in the sidecar scooter for a few years now without problems.
Tractorman

Postby Fast n Furious » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:24 am

It can be pot luck with Indian gearboxes in my experience. Some batches are ok, others are too hard or too soft.
Fast n Furious

Postby Jeff t » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:31 pm

Interesting reading, I have an Imola small block with an Indian GP150 gearbox and looking at options looks like from what I have read that an Li150 is probably the best set up but finding one looks nigh impossible. Couple of new options including the Casa 4 speed anyone experience of this box?
Jeff t

Postby rossclark » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:01 pm

There's at least 3 on eBay right now
rossclark

Postby dickie » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:33 am

Jeff t wrote:Interesting reading, I have an Imola small block with an Indian GP150 gearbox and looking at options looks like from what I have read that an Li150 is probably the best set up but finding one looks nigh impossible. Couple of new options including the Casa 4 speed anyone experience of this box?

I'd imagine that box will be horrible on an imola, but maybe depends on your pipe too. I have one in my tuned 175 with expansion and I hate it. There's al LI150 box on my shelf for it when I get the time.

After much deliberation, I bought an AF 4 speed close ratio box. Seems a good balance of performance vs price and well proven. Of course I'd have liked a 5 speed, but at an extra £350 ish, including gear change, I just couldn't justify it for the type of riding I do.
dickie

Postby Jeff t » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:44 am

Yeah it is pretty bad to ride as it is, the ones on ebay I hadn't seen the Spanish one for sale so missed that and the only other I could see was the one at £79 and if I am honest was unsure if it would be ok on a tuned engine probably jumping to conclusions on where its made and possibly how good it is. Think its a toss up between the Spanish LI and the AF close ration (also on ebay)
Jeff t

Postby dickie » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:37 am

Jeff t wrote:Yeah it is pretty bad to ride as it is, the ones on ebay I hadn't seen the Spanish one for sale so missed that and the only other I could see was the one at £79 and if I am honest was unsure if it would be ok on a tuned engine probably jumping to conclusions on where its made and possibly how good it is. Think its a toss up between the Spanish LI and the AF close ration (also on ebay)

You can get af close ratio for £100 from India but there'll be an extra £20 duty to pay. I've had loose gears from india that were fine, but I recently fitted two first gears which just crumbled. Really poor quality, way too hard. One lasted around 20 starts before it had lost around 1/3 of its kickstart teeth.

So I bought direct from AF. It's likely that they have some degree of input on quality control and also seems a little underhand to buy direct from India when they've done the development work. It was £195 delivered. Seems to tick all the boxes for me as i don't really enjoy riding a lambretta beyond 70mph; that's what my Triumph is for.
dickie

Postby Rich Oswald » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:31 am

Jeff t wrote:Yeah it is pretty bad to ride as it is, the ones on ebay I hadn't seen the Spanish one for sale so missed that and the only other I could see was the one at £79 and if I am honest was unsure if it would be ok on a tuned engine probably jumping to conclusions on where its made and possibly how good it is. Think its a toss up between the Spanish LI and the AF close ration (also on ebay)

I would not recommend the Spanish LI box!
Rich Oswald

Postby dscscotty » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:31 pm

There's 2 versions of Spanish Box Rich, one(early) has same ratio's as Italian, regarding the AF close ratio 4 speed, we run them in our Grp 4 race motors, with 0 breakages last season, also ran one in our endurance race winning motor.
dscscotty

Postby dickie » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:29 pm

dscscotty wrote:There's 2 versions of Spanish Box Rich, one(early) has same ratio's as Italian, regarding the AF close ratio 4 speed, we run them in our Grp 4 race motors, with 0 breakages last season, also ran one in our endurance race winning motor.

Yes, I should probably have said that another major factor in my decision was you telling me how much confidence you have in them.

If they can stand up to race abuse, I'm sure they'll cope with my jaunts out looking for bacon and black pudding.
dickie

Postby Lammer205 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:44 pm

Just on the Afclose ratio box i had one then lost teeth of the cluster purchased a new one from Af but when its assembled it sounds very rough like a grinding sound anyone noticed this with this box When assembled? ThanxLammer205
Lammer205

Postby Rich Oswald » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:58 pm

dscscotty wrote:There's 2 versions of Spanish Box Rich, one(early) has same ratio's as Italian, regarding the AF close ratio 4 speed, we run them in our Grp 4 race motors, with 0 breakages last season, also ran one in our endurance race winning motor.

Didn't know that Darren, I was just going by my experience of one I had.

Rich'
Rich Oswald

Postby Ivor the engine » Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:42 am

Hi All,
Regarding the AF close ratio gearbox, what sprocket (front / rear) set up would be best suited for this, running a stage 4 top end and 22m carb?
I've done some digging and there is mention of a 19x46, but with a diffrent high powered top end.
Any thoughts, feedback or experiences are welcome.
Thanks,
Ivor
Ivor the engine

Return to Tuning & Kits