LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Help - Halite washer too thick

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

Help - Halite washer too thick

Postby Covboy » Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:19 pm

Hi all
We are rebuilding an engine- when we asssemble the crank it’s too stiff to turn and there are witness marks on the web from the drive side bearing retaining plate
When we assemble the engine without the washer (tried two) the crank turns freely
The new bearing IS fully seated home . SKF 6305
The thickness of the halite gasket is 1.0mm
Does anyone know if thinner ones are available-if so where from please
Covboy

Re: Help - Halite washer too thick

Postby MickYork » Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:25 pm

Have you tried a different retaining plate, some are thicker/thinner than others.
MickYork

Postby Toddy » Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:12 pm

MickYork wrote:Have you tried a different retaining plate, some are thicker/thinner than others.

+1 I’ve had that before as well
Toddy

Postby Covboy » Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:28 pm

Hi guys ref the retaining plate- we have two and they are identical thickness all around
I’ve also checked them on a plate of glass and they are both true …
Covboy

Postby Toddy » Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:45 pm

Just a thought do you have a spare bearing a known good one to measure maybe a rouge bearing ?
Toddy

Postby dickie » Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:50 pm

I don't have one to hand to measure, but I've definitely had a halite washer that was too thick before.

It sounds to me like you'd benefit from a small shim between crank and bearing. MB sell them, I think in a few sizes.
dickie

Postby Covboy » Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:48 am

Toddy wrote:Just a thought do you have a spare bearing a known good one to measure maybe a rouge bearing ?

Thanks Toddy - we swapped the bearing over with another brand new one !

@dickie- thanks - we will look into the shim option
Covboy

Postby Fast n Furious » Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:41 pm

I no longer use halite washers. I like to make sure that the oilseal plate sits flat and doesn't distort when screwed down.
Instead, I make up an O-ring that sits around the 62mm bore of the bearing housing. The edge of the bearing has a slightly tapered relief here as has the edge of the boss on the oil seal plate creating a nice little fillable gap for an O-ring.
I then screw down the plate and leave it for a while and then undo it and inspect the level of compression that the rubber O-ring has been subjected to. If it shows as good, then I simply make up another one and use that and all is well. If it shows as insufficient or even partial in any area, then I simply make up another o-ring using the next diameter size up of Nitrile rubber cord. (could also use Viton) No need for any messy sealants. You only need a razor blade and a dab of superglue to make up O-rings like this.
Rubber cording is generally available from most local reputable bearing suppliers in 0.5mm diameter increments and it's cheap as chips.
Fast n Furious

Postby nickw » Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:19 am

The Casa plates have an O ring that meets this purpose. No halite gasket required.

https://www.riminilambrettacentre.com/e ... plate.html
nickw

Return to Tuning & Kits