LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Dies and now won’t start

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

Dies and now won’t start

Postby Jeff t » Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:50 pm

150 miles into running in a new build Quattrini, Phbh carb, SIP vape ignition, yesterday went a mile a so no problem, put petrol in and set off 300 yards or so scooter dies. I got it started but again just died, so stutters to stop not just cutting out. I limped home cutting out 3 or 4 times on the way but managed to get it started. I have checked the obvious spark looks ok, carb all looks clean, petrol flow looks good, read valve looks ok. I’ve Checked to see if the key had sheared in the flywheel but all good. Before I strip the head could the ignition switch be the issue, so would it still spark if it was going to earth. Tried yesterday and today and I can’t get it to start oh and compression seems ok when I kick it over.

It had done something similar the week before when I first started it but I didn’t take it out so it’s not the petrol i put in.
Jeff t

Re: Dies and now won’t start

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:27 pm

Presuming that the tank cap is breathing & the carburettor float/needle not sticking then eliminate the ignition switch by unplugging the 'kill' wire @ the CDI & try again.
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby L111amo » Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:36 pm

Diesel?
L111amo

Postby Adam_Winstone » Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:04 am

As above, if it was running fine before adding new fuel, suspect the fuel!

A pal of mine had exactly this scenario and discounted my suggestion of fuel as he couldn't imagine that the fresh fuel from local petrol station could be a problem.

Anyway, he stripped the motor down, rebuilt with new seals... same issue. Asked a dealer, spent several hundreds of pounds in new crank, maghousing, fly side bearing, seal ang gaskets... same issue!

As a last resort he hired a van and called in a favour for me to look at it. I asked him to run me through events, step by step, which lead me to drain tank and float bowl, put in some fuel from one of my bikes.. problem solved, immediately.

You should never assume that fuel from a petrol station is good or uncontaminated. He learned an expensive lesson.
Adam_Winstone

Postby Jeff t » Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:43 am

As I filled up I bumped Into mate testing his GP had a long chat as I filled up and it’s a petrol station I don’t use. Going to walk up in a bit and check the pump I used.
Jeff t

Postby hullygully » Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:02 pm

stick your nose in your tank, that'll tell you straight off (I also learnt the hard way, twice :shock: )
hullygully

Postby MickYork » Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:09 pm

Change the fuel regardless, eliminates a suspected problem.
MickYork

Postby Jeff t » Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:20 pm

Yep diesel it is, can’t believe I did that don’t even have a diesel car. Take if I clean it out it should be ok ?
Jeff t

Postby MickYork » Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:35 pm

How much do you want for the diesel :mrgreen:
MickYork

Postby Solid Air » Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:23 pm

Been following this thread with interest. Basically it's your mate's fault cos he distracted you when you were filling up! :lol:

Seriously though, glad you got it sorted
Solid Air

Postby Fast n Furious » Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:50 pm

Don't be too hard on yourself, I did the same myself a few years back. :oops:
Had the same symtoms as you decribe. I found that by putting the choke on that it would run and it got me the 15miles to home. My mates weren't best pleased though cos I was trailing bad smoke all the way and those behind me all stunk of diesel when they got home. :roll:

Was it a BP Fuelstation by any chance Jeff?
Fast n Furious

Postby ULC Soulagent » Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:40 pm

Jeff t wrote:Yep diesel it is, can’t believe I did that don’t even have a diesel car. Take if I clean it out it should be ok ?

We’ve all been there including myself but I still blame the outback service station in France for not having colour coded handles like we do in Uk and me not knowing more French :lol:
ULC Soulagent

Postby Jeff t » Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:33 pm

Would love to share the blame but no all my fault, it did limp home and your right needed choke luckily only a couple of miles. It was a shell station but obvious when you look at the pump. What is a pain in the arse is getting rid of 8l of fuel local council won’t take it so need to find a garage who will take it, then we wonder why people fly tip etc, so easy to put somewhere you shouldn’t.
Jeff t

Postby Fast n Furious » Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:24 pm

Ah. I didn't waste mine. I diluted it down with petrol and burn't it in my old, near knackered, lawnmower. Adding a touch of castrol R to each tankful made it bearable. :lol:
Fast n Furious

Postby L111amo » Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:09 am

Glad you got it sorted, used to be a ford technician for donkeys years and before the new easy fuel type fuel receptors we used to get countless vehicles towed in with non starts and apart from obvious stuff to check we would take a sample out and set it a light on floor if it burnt off completely (petrol) if it left a residue ( diesel) .
L111amo

Postby duncan1958 » Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:22 pm

I use diesel as a cleaning agent with a bit of petrol.
Doesn't evaporate like petrol and lasts for ages if you strain it through an old sock before storing for the next cleaning operation.
duncan1958

Return to Tuning & Kits