LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

AVANTI best set-up for torque.......

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

AVANTI best set-up for torque.......

Postby shamrockexpress » Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:56 am

I have an Avanti kit on the shelf for the last few years, can anyone give me advice on the best set-up for toodling about or maybe a few long distance trips..........so best crank stroke/rod, carb,ignition,exhaust,gearing etc, maybe some of the guys that has done euro jaunts successfully might have info as what to do and not to do...........................
Many thanks
shamrockexpress

Re: AVANTI best set-up for torque.......

Postby Adam_Winstone » Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:25 pm

The kit works very well in the standard 58/107 configuration that Ron intended but, as with any kit, there are a million and one ways that you could change the configuration to better suit the delivery that you're personally looking for.

I've used various configurations and they can result in a very different range of power characteristics. As with most 2-strokes, exhaust choice will play a massive part, without any other changes of porting.

I'm short of time to respond at length now but we (with input from others) can take this further.

Adam
Adam_Winstone

Postby shamrockexpress » Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:55 pm

whats concerning me most is talk about spitback.........i was hoping to use this kit in standard formation without adding reedvalve or exspensive carbs and ignitions really hoping it was a bolt on kit, but if theres fuel wastage and lots of spitback i might as well use a ts1............basically was the kit port timings out of sync because you surely wouldnt design a kit from scratch that spews petrol all over the place????
thanks for the reply for now damian
shamrockexpress

Postby Adam_Winstone » Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:20 pm

All piston port kits spit back. I configured mine to run a remote Breathsweet filter (not RamAir and not small), which meant that things stayed fairly clean inside the panel work. 30mm PHBH but a 28 or even 25mm would work nicely. Other makes work too but don't get my vote.

NB: Long durations on piston port = good power. Yes, increased duration = increased spit-back but it's a sliding scale of one for another. I can't remember the duration of the TT3 but it's nothing crazy and works nicely with a suitable filter.... note 'suitable'.
Adam_Winstone

Postby Adam_Winstone » Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:34 pm

Whilst I know that some have converted to reed induction, just as many do with RT kits, I've not needed to reed my TT3.

I've used mine for Euro Lambrettas and ridden with 2 others riding piston port TT3s. We've all been very happy with the performance delivery and reliability.

I do also run a crankcase induction reed TT3 but that's a completely different barrel and setup.
Adam_Winstone

Postby shamrockexpress » Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:30 am

thats a bit of reassurance, i,ll give it ago with a 28 phbh and i have a franspeed race or super tourer. will let you know my findings,
ps i think the ex-box would suit best what i want but reluctant to spend 300 quid until i see how it goes.
thanks again,
regards Damian
shamrockexpress

Postby MickYork » Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:14 am

I've just fitted a 116 rod coupled with a shorter deck height piston (30mm). No packers or messing about with port timings. Certainly gives a bit more grunt lower down.
MickYork

Postby hullygully » Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:20 pm

I built one up for a mate about 8yrs ago, using an Indian GP200 box, 20T x 47T
5 x plate Fox Hat clutch
110 Jap rod GP crank
17 deg static timing on a 70mm Bore
3mm barrel spacer
Franny exhaust? & 30mm Delly (no jetting available)
hullygully

Postby Adam_Winstone » Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:26 pm

I have run with various pipes and ignition combos.

Euro Avignon - JL3 and static ignition, being a reliable tourer and doing Avignon to Orleans in a day, without issue. However, whilst 'fine', I found the power delivery sedate, with the JL3 limiting the ability to scream it if wanting to.

Euro Germany - Fran Supertourer and Agusto 6k advance/retard ignition. NB: When I first tried the Supertourer with the same static that the JL3 had run with, I was shocked at how much lower down power I had lost. Indeed, so much bottom end lost that I had to try other setup ideas! That said, the rev-on was dramatically extended so I decided to persevere... and fitting the advance/retard worked wonders; all of the bottom end back and keeping the over-rev, for no change of gearing (4.8:1).

Out of these configurations the Supertourer is easily my favourite, for the odd hooligan blast and/or reliable touring. In your shoes I would think that both of your pipe options would benefit from advance/retard.

Adam
Adam_Winstone

Postby shamrockexpress » Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:23 am

hullygully wrote:I built one up for a mate about 8yrs ago, using an Indian GP200 box, 20T x 47T
5 x plate Fox Hat clutch
110 Jap rod GP crank
3mm barrel spacer

So what was the power delivery like?
shamrockexpress

Postby shamrockexpress » Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:26 am

Adam_Winstone wrote:I have run with various pipes and ignition combos.

Euro Avignon - JL3 and static ignition, being a reliable tourer and doing Avignon to Orleans in a day, without issue. However, whilst 'fine', I found the power delivery sedate, with the JL3 limiting the ability to scream it if wanting to.

Euro Germany - Fran Supertourer and Agusto 6k advance/retard ignition. NB: When I first tried the Supertourer with the same static that the JL3 had run with, I was shocked at how much lower down power I had lost. Indeed, so much bottom end lost that I had to try other setup ideas! That said, the rev-on was dramatically extended so I decided to persevere... and fitting the advance/retard worked wonders; all of the bottom end back and keeping the over-rev, for no change of gearing (4.8:1).

Out of these configurations the Supertourer is easily my favourite, for the odd hooligan blast and/or reliable touring. In your shoes I would think that both of your pipe options would benefit from advance/retard.

Adam

Thats interesting i actually have an augusto 6k and a supertourer so might be the best option to save me spending anymore doe,,,,,,,, thanks again will keep you posted.
regards Damian
shamrockexpress

Postby hullygully » Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:14 pm

shamrockexpress wrote:
hullygully wrote:I built one up for a mate about 8yrs ago, using an Indian GP200 box, 20T x 47T
5 x plate Fox Hat clutch
110 Jap rod GP crank
3mm barrel spacer

So what was the power delivery like?

he liked it 8-)
hullygully

Postby Jeff t » Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:59 pm

Just reading this back I went for the 4 speed Casas great bit of kit maybe be a bit expensive but I would certainly recommend it.
Jeff t

Postby shamrockexpress » Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:25 am

Jeff t wrote:Just reading this back I went for the 4 speed Casas great bit of kit maybe be a bit expensive but I would certainly recommend it.

I have a LI150 box in good condition so i will use that ,,,,,,,,,,keep the budget down.
on the subject of gearboxes DSC racers seem to really like the AF close ratios and not to expensive.
thanks for the replies.
shamrockexpress

Return to Tuning & Kits