LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Clutch abuse, it's time for a new one

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

Clutch abuse, it's time for a new one

Postby GP Kevo » Sat Nov 05, 2022 3:53 pm

I've got all the parts collected to build an MB 6 plate clutch and it's high time I got around to putting it in! I tried out an external mic. How does my jetting sound? I think it sounds a little lean when I close the throttle after a fast run.

GP Kevo

Re: Clutch abuse, it's time for a new one

Postby Scooterslag » Sat Nov 05, 2022 4:53 pm

That bloke in the car park at the end of the vid came close to banging into you, probably distracted on his phone as they usually are :roll:
Scooterslag

Postby GP Kevo » Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:45 pm

Yes, he did. I think the Tesla automatic brake kicked in. He was turning into a one way lane in the car park the wrong way. He was supposed to go straight, but he came right at me. He later apologised when I saw him at the store.
GP Kevo

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Sun Nov 06, 2022 7:55 pm

To my ears, it sounds as though your carburation is not spot on but that could be a product of your exhaust blowing or cracked. The exhaust sounds as though it's blowing @ the cylinder.

You seem to have a tendency to 'short shift' before getting to WOT so I suspect you are subconsciously trying to work around clutch slip.

The last engine build I did was my extensively ported TS 70 x 60 mm. I set up a six plate clutch using OEM (Innocenti) components with CamLam plates/frictions using ATF. No drag & no slip. It's not been on a dyno but the (very pleased) owner estimates comfortably in excess of 30 BHP....
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby GP Kevo » Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:21 am

Carburetion is very rich at 1/4 throttle. Yes, I have been working around that when I ride. I'm running a Mikuni TMX 35 that's been on this scooter since 2005. I have gone from 57 jet needle to 58, and if I run the 58 at its leanest position, the engine runs really well but then way too lean at 3/4 throttle. It was set like this when I holed the piston back in July. Currently the rest of the jetting is: 370 main, 22.5 pilot jet. Do you think it's possible that the carburetor has worn over time? It's done a lot of miles an there is visible wear of the slide.

I'll look at the exhaust more closely tomorrow. It's a Franspeed Race, pretty rusty and there's a dent on the down pipe where it contacted a wheel well when we took our scooters to the USA Lambretta Jamboree in July.
GP Kevo

Postby GP Kevo » Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:34 am

I had a look today and there is blowback from the exhaust I think where it slips into the exhaust manifold. It's a Franspeed Race. What can I use to seal it? I tried "exhaust sealant" and that seemed to only work for a short while. The exhaust may be bent. There's a dent in the downpipe where the scooter rested on the trailer that took it up to the Lambretta Jamboree in Northern California. I've just ordered a new Franspeed Race (Bolt-on) from JL Exhausts. And I'm buying a new Mikuni TMX 35 direct from Sudco next week.
Last edited by GP Kevo on Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
GP Kevo

Postby GP Kevo » Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:40 am

Also Russ Shea helped me and pointed out what I had done wrong when I built my clutch. The top plate is protruding and the ears aren't catching on the spider. I hadn't done any measurements before building. So I'm going to try again.
GP Kevo

Postby nickw » Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:37 pm

GP Kevo wrote: Do you think it's possible that the carburetor has worn over time? It's done a lot of miles an there is visible wear of the slide.

Hiya Kev, hope you're doing well. We met at a petrol station, a few years ago on one of the Euros albeit briefly.
The problem with the Mikunis is the wear on the atomiser and needle . See link below. I was having all sorts of problems with one of my TS1 engines and bought a brand new Mikuni and this changed the behaviour of the engine for the better. I was told at the time if you're on a 58 then you need to be buying new.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6567

Good Luck
nickw

Postby GP Kevo » Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:46 pm

nickw wrote:
GP Kevo wrote: Do you think it's possible that the carburetor has worn over time? It's done a lot of miles an there is visible wear of the slide.

Hiya Kev, hope you're doing well. We met at a petrol station, a few years ago on one of the Euros albeit briefly.
The problem with the Mikunis is the wear on the atomiser and needle . See link below. I was having all sorts of problems with one of my TS1 engines and bought a brand new Mikuni and this changed the behaviour of the engine for the better. I was told at the time if you're on a 58 then you need to be buying new.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6567

Good Luck

Hiya Nick, we probably met in Austria in 2015 :)
Yeah, I had heard about carb wear, too and the guys at Sudco confirmed it. I bought a new Mikuni TMX35 from them and will be putting that in sometime this weekend.
It's not as exciting here in Los Angeles. There are a lot of Lambretta owners in California but no regular event large enough to attract everyone to ride to it. Some of us are trying to change that, though. I miss the buzz of riding to a Euro Lambretta event and back.
GP Kevo

Postby hullygully » Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:31 pm

Broady does a EN59 Mikuni needle now 8-)
hullygully

Return to Tuning & Kits