LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Varitronic type ignitions

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

Varitronic type ignitions

Postby gp200ts1 » Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:15 pm

Has anyone converted a varitronic type ignition to full dc? I have a scooter which is fitted with a scootopia varitronic type ignition and the lights at lows revs are abysmal so I would prefer full dc.
gp200ts1

Re: Varitronic type ignitions

Postby jonw » Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:46 am

Varitronic diagram here shows the regulator has optional battery output...

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5440
jonw

Postby gp200ts1 » Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:43 pm

jonw wrote:Varitronic diagram here shows the regulator has optional battery output...

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5440

Yes but that is dc enough to trickle charge a battery. I want a full dc system.
Captain pug wash has steered my in the right direction to an old posting of his showing how to convert the stator.
gp200ts1

Postby Adam_Winstone » Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:42 pm

Captain Pugwash is a star with electrics :)
Adam_Winstone

Postby Adam_Winstone » Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:43 pm

... and most things Lambretta.
Adam_Winstone

Postby coaster » Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:00 am

Just be aware that converting the stator to DC alone will not make any difference to your lighting. If you fit a battery though it will supplement the low stator output at low revs so that your lights are at full power. BUT, when the battery runs down when a lot of slow riding is involved then your lights will only have the stator output to rely on and will be the same as with an AC system. Personally I'm happy to put up with this and top the battery up with a mains charger every few weeks.

The Captain is indeed a genius
coaster

Postby Binny » Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:53 pm

Don't know if this is of any interest to the op but I run a Varitronic system with DC and AC lights.

I use a gel type burglar alarm battery which just fits on the standard battery tray and which gets trickled charged during normal riding.

All I've done is wire the main lighting feed up so that I can switch (hidden in the standard air scoop under the seat) between battery DC and AC supply.

If I'm riding during the day and want the lights on constantly because it's crap weather then I have it on AC. If I'm riding at night and at low speeds then I switch to battery DC so the lights are bright regardless of engine speed.

Obviously if I use it on DC for more than an hour or so then the battery draw will start to outstrip the trickle charge and I would have to switch back to AC.
Binny

Postby Wack » Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:11 pm

Captain Pugwash and myself worked together a few years back to change the Varitronic to DC.Something I've now done to several scooters including one yesterday but with a far easier way of doing it without removing the resin on the terminals.I will say that you will have great lights but it's best to run LED's and avoid high wattage front halogens especially if running instruments or a SIP speedo as the voltage drops from 14.5 to between 12 to 13v with everything on.One of the reasons I converted to HID a few years back as low wattage but BA20D's are now available in LED although I haven't tried one yet.
Wack

Postby Soulsurfer » Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:39 pm

Wack wrote:Captain Pugwash and myself worked together a few years back to change the Varitronic to DC.Something I've now done to several scooters including one yesterday but with a far easier way of doing it without removing the resin on the terminals.I will say that you will have great lights but it's best to run LED's and avoid high wattage front halogens especially if running instruments or a SIP speedo as the voltage drops from 14.5 to between 12 to 13v with everything on.One of the reasons I converted to HID a few years back as low wattage but BA20D's are now available in LED although I haven't tried one yet.

Resurrecting this thread as I’m interested in this… Pm sent Wack.
Soulsurfer

Return to Tuning & Kits