LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

LED Bulbs

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

LED Bulbs

Postby martyn dwane » Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:22 pm

Anyone tried these ?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124913387858
I have the H4 bulb holder conversion on my GP, so was thinking of trying these
martyn dwane

Re: LED Bulbs

Postby gp200ts1 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:19 pm

Run them on a gp and a series 2. Work great on my dc set up.
gp200ts1

Postby L111amo » Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:22 pm

As above only good on dc
L111amo

Postby Fast n Furious » Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:18 am

Is the dip beam offset for LHD or RHD??????
Fast n Furious

Postby landybretta » Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:32 am

I used this supplier to replace all my bulbs on my MGB. Also purchased a Led headlight bulb for my scooter.
Not the cheapest but you get what you pay for.
Excellent quality and very helpful if you need advice.

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/
landybretta

Postby martyn dwane » Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:35 pm

I have ordered one of the cheap bulbs, i will report back once i fit it
martyn dwane

Postby Leotech » Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:17 am

I got some LED bulbs for a single pathfinder spotlight I was running on AC and they just smoked and burnt out almost instantly.

They were advertised and AC/DC and up to 24 volts. From China.

That said a friends has some running on a DC set up and his have been fine.
Leotech

Postby martyn dwane » Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:35 am

i run DC Wassel conversion
martyn dwane

Postby L111amo » Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:06 am

Bulbs have no definition led or rhd
L111amo

Postby Fast n Furious » Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:17 am

There is a BA20d Led bulb that will do the job very well.
This is a Bosch BA20d type FC2A CDRC "Double Dipper Pro" from:-
https://www.dynamoregulatorconversions. ... s-shop.php
These have fully adustable beam offset. The dip beam offset is adjusted using an Allen key. Easy to set up for either UK or continental use. ( no more having to stick on those crappy lenz correctors to your headlamp glass)
These are a projection type bulb. It doesn't matter how knackered your reflector is, cos it doesn't use it.
I recommended one to a friend of mine about a year ago mainly cos he was always blowing incandescant bulbs. It sorted that problem out and gave a much better white light on the road.
These are a properly engineered product and are about £35 delivered :o A cheap price, to comfortably and reliably see where your'e going. ;)
Fast n Furious

Postby coaster » Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:22 am

martyn dwane wrote:Anyone tried these ?

well they are certainly cheap and may well work ok but the problem with LED longevity is heat disipation. The expensive ones use eithe a tiny fan or an ally heat sink. I dont think those have either :?
coaster

Postby martyn dwane » Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:59 pm

coaster wrote:
martyn dwane wrote:Anyone tried these ?

well they are certainly cheap and may well work ok but the problem with LED longevity is heat disipation. The expensive ones use eithe a tiny fan or an ally heat sink. I dont think those have either :?

hey certainly are cheap , as thats for 2 !
i`ll give them a try .Nothing ventured , nothing gained aand only 6 quid if there crap :D
martyn dwane

Postby martyn dwane » Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:50 pm

So, i cut the surround off so it fits in a Lambretta bulb holder , fitted a H4 bulb connector on the back, connected it up to a headlight glass and reflector and then to a 12v battery , high and low are different as expected . I left it on for 45 mins, didnt even get warm on the metal parts. i`ll fit one to my Gp ,hopefully at the weekend and see how long it lasts.
martyn dwane

Postby Adam_Winstone » Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:20 pm

A pal had read so much about the benefits of LED bulbs that he replaced every bulb with LEDs, then asked if I would be kind enough to have a look to see why he was, shortly afterwards, having so many issues with his lights.

When I investigated, he was using one of the high wattage output BGM stators. The combination of high output and little being used by the LEDs had burnt out (melted) a considerable amount of his wiring!!!

LEDs are great, as part of a well thought through and balanced system but not the solution to all problems!
Adam_Winstone

Postby coaster » Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:08 pm

Adam_Winstone wrote:A pal had read so much about the benefits of LED bulbs that he replaced every bulb with LEDs, then asked if I would be kind enough to have a look to see why he was, shortly afterwards, having so many issues with his lights.

When I investigated, he was using one of the high wattage output BGM stators. The combination of high output and little being used by the LEDs had burnt out (melted) a considerable amount of his wiring!!!

LEDs are great, as part of a well thought through and balanced system but not the solution to all problems!

Surely your friends scooter had other issues, a short cicuit or faulty led maybe? Any current not being consumed by the lights is shorted to earth by the regulator
coaster

Postby Fast n Furious » Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:22 am

+1
Fast n Furious

Postby Adam_Winstone » Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:57 am

Exactly what I told him too, with it being highly likely that the constant high loading on the regulator caused it to fail, making whole issue much worse.

Asking any component to work to its limits all the time is never good.

Once the regulator became suspect then the increased output of this spec BGM stator did the wiring no favours.
Adam_Winstone

Postby dickie » Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:25 am

Sorry if I'm teaching anyone to suck eggs here, but power ratings of generators, power supplies, regulators etc are the maximum that they are capable of delivering, not what they deliver all the time. Power or current ratings of consumers like bulbs, horns, ignition systems etc are what they will demand.

For example a ship may have 6 x 6Mwatt generators running at once, but the total load maybe only be 3Mwatt for example. The other generators are only running for contingency
That's a highly inefficient situation, but serves to show the principle.

What I'm trying to say is if your mate's stator is 120W and his LEDs are a total of 5W (total guess) that isn't necessarily a problem.
dickie

Postby Adam_Winstone » Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:45 pm

No problem, I get that, however, if the stator is sending out 120w to the regulator all of the time and constantly trying to turn 115w of that into heat for finned discharge (taking to ground?)... what's it doing to the regulator? Modern regulators tend to be small, with limited fin surface area, so I would have thought that the constant performance burden of constant high loading wouldn't do anything beneficial for the life expectancy of the regulator? Once the regulator fails, then where does that surplus 115w go....

PS - I'm not trying to win any argument here, just trying to better understand hiw/why my pal smoked much of his loom when running a high output AC stator with all LED bulbs. Perhaps the regulator failure was unrelated to having to constantly try to convert / dischrage the surplus coming from the stator but I would have thought it quite likely to be a contributing factor... ?
Adam_Winstone

Postby coaster » Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:55 pm

Yes but that's exactly what ALL 12 volt systems do, AC or DC. If you run with your lights on, tungsten bulbs will use nearly all of the 90 or so watts from the stator and any surplus will be shunted to ground. If running with the lights off, ALL 90 watts will be shunted to ground
coaster

Next

Return to Tuning & Kits