LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

casatronic no spark

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

casatronic no spark

Postby lofty » Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:24 am

Hi all..

after a short lay-up i cant get the bike started, after checking fuel i checked spark (nothing either visually, or by using finger/shock test)

here is what I have eliminated so far.. plug, cap, ht lead, ign switch and wiring, wiring from stator, stator continuity/resistance, earths, the connections to regulator and cdi look sound..

It was running last time it was used, so I am doubtful but maybe something has failed?

has anyone any experience of similar issues they may have had?

also, as a matter of interest, what triggers the spark in the flywheel? I can see what appears to be 4 magnets inside, but nothing that looks like a trigerry thing??
lofty

Re: casatronic no spark

Postby Toddy » Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:48 pm

lofty wrote:Hi all..

after a short lay-up i cant get the bike started, after checking fuel i checked spark (nothing either visually, or by using finger/shock test)

here is what I have eliminated so far.. plug, cap, ht lead, ign switch and wiring, wiring from stator, stator continuity/resistance, earths, the connections to regulator and cdi look sound..

It was running last time it was used, so I am doubtful but maybe something has failed?

has anyone any experience of similar issues they may have had?

also, as a matter of interest, what triggers the spark in the flywheel? I can see what appears to be 4 magnets inside, but nothing that looks like a trigerry thing??

It’s not something daft like an ignition switch earthing out ?
Toddy

Postby lofty » Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:50 am

unfortunately not :(

I am resigned to trying alternative CDI/regulator, but I dont have spares so need to open the wallet :cry:

I would have hoped with a 'modern' all singing and dancing and expensive setup life would be easier, but alas.......
lofty

Postby bike grim » Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:11 pm

Which casatronic ? The new style or the older IDM 4 pole like the Varitronic ? If it’s the older type the spares for those are cheaper on German eBay - you can get coil pack that bolt to the back plate and also CDI units. Last time I looked were cheaper than cam lam
bike grim

Postby lofty » Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:00 pm

its the new 12 pole advance/retard version
lofty

Postby Adam_Winstone » Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:47 pm

Strangely, when I first built mine I could not see or feel a spark from plug or HT but was told to try it with the plug a d lead fitted to the motor... and it fired up normally! Perhaps there is a little 'voodoo' with the new system?!

I believe that one of the earth points is very important too.

Good luck.
Adam_Winstone

Postby lofty » Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:24 pm

Thanks Adam,

voodoo eh, it kind of makes sense, i may have to find a goat to sacrifice.. I will post back my findings :lol:
lofty

Postby lofty » Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:59 pm

yep it was voodoo..

not so much as a spark or a tingle from the HT, but put it all back together and kicked it over.. burst into life 3rd kick..

and goat curry for tea...
lofty

Postby Toddy » Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:00 pm

lofty wrote:yep it was voodoo..

not so much as a spark or a tingle from the HT, but put it all back together and kicked it over.. burst into life 3rd kick..

and goat curry for tea...

Happy days not sure about the goat curry though :lol:
Toddy

Postby Adam_Winstone » Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:37 pm

Brilliant!

Thanks for the update. It's really good to hear that comments have helped others.

Result!
Adam_Winstone

Return to Tuning & Kits