LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Casa fork links - What’s that all about?

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

Casa fork links - What’s that all about?

Postby Knowledge » Wed May 03, 2023 10:36 pm

Knowledge

Re: Casa fork links - What’s that all about?

Postby ULC Soulagent » Thu May 04, 2023 7:16 am

Bragging rights :lol:
ULC Soulagent

Postby missing lynx » Thu May 04, 2023 10:28 am

TBH IMHO a lot of these "improved" products are solving problems or issues that don't really exist and all they're designed to do is relieve punters of their hard earned cash
missing lynx

Postby nsaints » Thu May 04, 2023 1:22 pm

A solution, looking for a problem ;)
nsaints

Postby Scooterslag » Thu May 04, 2023 4:35 pm

missing lynx wrote:TBH IMHO a lot of these "improved" products are solving problems or issues that don't really exist and all they're designed to do is relieve punters of their hard earned cash

+1
Scooterslag

Postby gizmo » Thu May 04, 2023 5:29 pm

Just had a look out of curiosity. Jeeper's sure are pricey. CNC seems to be the in vogue thing at the moment. They do turn out some new stuff but everything is top price. Think my 10 Bob SIl ones will be quite enough for the time being
gizmo

Postby Knowledge » Thu May 04, 2023 10:07 pm

I haven’t worked out how the spring pre-load works. I guess it is by turning the Allen-head screw in the side of the fork link, but I can’t see how much adjustment you could get (or need).
Knowledge

Postby gizmo » Fri May 05, 2023 1:58 pm

Knowledge wrote:I haven’t worked out how the spring pre-load works. I guess it is by turning the Allen-head screw in the side of the fork link, but I can’t see how much adjustment you could get (or need).
what with different types of fork springs, adjustable dampers, anti dives etc I would have thought there was enough going on to keep everyone happy
gizmo

Postby jonw » Fri May 05, 2023 4:08 pm

"not compatible with original drum or disc brake system" race only for a proprietary front wheel, quite a niche product then.
jonw

Postby Fast n Furious » Fri May 05, 2023 6:00 pm

Knowledge wrote:I haven’t worked out how the spring pre-load works. I guess it is by turning the Allen-head screw in the side of the fork link, but I can’t see how much adjustment you could get (or need).

They claim that there is 10mm of preload adjustment available. Hmmm :shock:
Fast n Furious

Postby Leotech » Fri May 05, 2023 7:57 pm

Fast n Furious wrote:

They claim that there is 10mm of preload adjustment available. Hmmm :shock:

The amount of times I've ridden along on my Lambretta and thought if only I had 10mm of adjustable preload on my forks how much better my day would be..............

I'm not even totally sold on front dampers yet, One of mine, the top bolt fell off once, going to Brid and if my mate hadn't pointed it out dangling from the lower mount I'd have been none the wiser! ha ha ha
Leotech

Postby missing lynx » Fri May 05, 2023 9:17 pm

jonw wrote:"not compatible with original drum or disc brake system" race only for a proprietary front wheel, quite a niche product then.

That's what I thought
missing lynx

Postby ROClarke » Fri May 05, 2023 10:15 pm

CNC is purely a way of manufacturing a part out of metal,normally,using a numerically controlled milling machine.The advancements made in this area are allowing parts to be made without the need to a go to the cost and expense of having moulds made and casting the material and then manufacturing a part using perhaps several separate processes.
Aluminium is the material of choice when manafacturing a part using a cnc milling machine as it is a relatively soft material and can be machined to a high finish and have a higher degree of accuracy due to the part being made by a numerically controlled milling machine.
However,different metals have different rates of expansion when exposed to heat and have different levels of hardness and strength.
Fork links have traditionally been manufactured from forged steel.Forged steel is less likely to suffer from metal fatigue than aluminium and can withstand higher levels of impact that might render a similar aluminium part to fail.
ROClarke

Postby Knowledge » Tue May 09, 2023 7:09 am

^ Is that the answer you get from AI software?
Knowledge

Postby ROClarke » Tue May 09, 2023 3:15 pm

No,but thank you for the compliment.
It’s my thoughts as a trained engineer.
ROClarke

Postby gp200ts1 » Tue May 09, 2023 3:36 pm

all cnc means is you get repeatability on batches of components. one that is hand machined is going to be made within tolerances stated, each part may differ in dimensions within the tolerance specs. for instance if you have a shaft that is supposed to be 30mm in diameter with a tolerance of + or- 0.05mm. a hand machined part may be 30.02mm and the next one done may be 29.98mm whereas a cnc machined part may be 30.01mm and everyone after that would be 30.01mm. CNC does not mean all singing, all dancing quality part. it is just a way of producing components with repeatability.
gp200ts1

Postby hullygully » Tue May 09, 2023 4:41 pm

gp200ts1 wrote:all cnc means is you get repeatability on batches of components. one that is hand machined is going to be made within tolerances stated, each part may differ in dimensions within the tolerance specs. for instance if you have a shaft that is supposed to be 30mm in diameter with a tolerance of + or- 0.05mm. a hand machined part may be 30.02mm and the next one done may be 29.98mm whereas a cnc machined part may be 30.01mm and everyone after that would be 30.01mm. CNC does not mean all singing, all dancing quality part. it is just a way of producing components with repeatability.

+1
plus a machined componant needs to be treated in some way to be as strong as a casting / forging :shock:
hullygully

Postby Fast n Furious » Wed May 10, 2023 1:28 am

When are we getting 3D printed fork links then? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Fast n Furious

Postby wintermod65 » Mon May 15, 2023 3:38 pm

its easy really Lambretta suspension was designed by the flintstones

any attempt to improve it must be welcomed

want any answers why not ask RLC ?

dont know anything about suspension Dave moss tuning on youtube its bikes but principles apply to both.

adding adjustable suspension can make handling/ component wear /rider fatigue worse if its not set up or balanced to work as a system if springs are too heavy ( large force needed to move them ) or too light( you guessed it small force need to move) its likely the damping wont work effectively .

current scooter 65 winter model Casa SST 265 protech rear with damping adust / front BGM f116 pro the unknown is front spring weight is it suitable for my rider weight? trial and error at moment so if had some variance in spring weights available this may make improvements in suspension set up, last bike was a Ducati 848 evo corse with OHlins set up for my rider weight difference from stock settings spring weight was huge
wintermod65

Return to Tuning & Kits