LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Vape Static Set up

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

Vape Static Set up

Postby jdevane5 » Mon May 15, 2023 7:01 pm

I've just bought a Vape Static for my RT230 build and about to set it up.
Which at £350 you would expect it to be quality in terms of set up instructions...

The instructions are crap and seem to be for a Vespa.The online video's are not great either.
I've watched a view videos on set up and they all differ slightly, along with the MB guide which goes as far as aralditing the flywheel to the inner part (which I totally get).
Not sure on the Camlam video on how they get the TDC mark to the inner mag flange face near the stator markings either and not sure that way is without error.?1?

So this is how I was planning on setting up...

The instructions also say the laser centre line is set at 20 btdc -Not sure if I believe that but was going to use as basis for setting it up stator position to 17 degrees and then finding TDC as usual, buss wangle etc

Double check with strobe and if an issue rotate the stator if needed to hit 17 Degrees

If anyone has set one up - please throw me some advise /steps -Cheers :D
(And I plan on transferring Vape firing mark from inner flywheel to outer flywheel).
jdevane5

Re: Vape Static Set up

Postby dscscotty » Tue May 16, 2023 8:38 pm

Hi there, Vapes are a fantastic ignition system, however a little care must be taken when installing, nothing major just standard methods.
Don't use the markers on the back plate, find TDC, and use mark on flywheel to set timing,vyhen strobe to check, even the fixed/Non variable has a slight retard map, so the firing point will retard slightly at high rpm.
Once fitted they are a great system.
dscscotty

Postby jdevane5 » Thu May 18, 2023 8:19 am

Thanks alot -So when you say mark on flywheel, you mean transfer the line from the inner flywheel rotor to the outside of the flywheel & use that to align to TDC & then set up? And double check with strobe, if an issue move stator.

I'm sure its a great ignition and looking forward to it set up, Just dismayed on how shit the information on Lambretta setting up is from the kit-All seems an afterthought once the designer worked out it could be used on a Lambretta as well as a Vespa..
jdevane5

Postby Storkfoot » Thu May 18, 2023 9:19 am

I do what you are proposing. I carefully transfer the marks to the outer flywheel and strobe it from there. So far, I have strobed three at a good handful of revs when the curve will say that it should be slightly advanced. Two of the three static set ups have needed altering.

Vape are, by the looks of it, a pretty big company who make ignitions for a multitude of vehicles. Lambrettas, I suspect, make up a very small part of their business. SIP should be thanked for getting this ignition to us.

That said, I have to scratch my head every time I set one up :)
Storkfoot

Postby jdevane5 » Thu May 18, 2023 5:46 pm

Cheers, I have the scoot all set up now statically look forward to it running. :D :D
jdevane5

Return to Tuning & Kits