LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Lynx

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

Lynx

Postby L111amo » Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:23 pm

Got this posted in carbs but thought I’d ask on here as well

Got a 200 lynx with 42 mm clubman standard carb &6v ignition
Would 25 mm delly carb make much difference as it isn’t the fastest up to speed
Cheers in advance
L111amo

Re: Lynx

Postby nsaints » Wed Aug 23, 2023 3:24 pm

No direct experience of this combination, however I recently owned a TV with a standard 22mm carb and standard un-modified airbox on an RT195
That ran like a standard bike which did make me question why not stick to the standard cylinder?

Anyhow I soon changed to a PHBL 25 dellorto, breathing through a large bore airbox. Much more suited to the RT top end.

Given your setup being standard-ish I think I’d stick with the standard carb and find a decent standard exhaust
I’m not convinced the clubman would add much other that more noise. Horses for courses though..
nsaints

Postby L111amo » Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:01 pm

Cheers, it still had the original 40 odd year old exhaust on it but the welds failed, had the 42 mm brand new in my garage so put it on, made a difference but just feels light it needs a little umph
L111amo

Postby nsaints » Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:24 am

whatever route you decide to go down, if you were looking for a good standard exhaust the Tutto Lambretta (TL) is highly regarded
I have one fitted to a standard GP engine - performance surprisingly good and not offence levels of noise

not sure how easy it is to source a TL exhaust currently

https://stflambretta.com/prodotto/origi ... r/?lang=en
nsaints

Postby duncan1958 » Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:30 pm

I have a Jet 200 with the AF Clubman 42mm exhaust on and I stuck a 26mm phbh carb on using the MB flanged inlet manifold.
It wouldn't run properly through the original tool box air filter, bogging really bad.
Run open mouth (with a sink strainer to stop big bits getting down the inlet)without any problems.
The bore is worn so I'm not overly concerned about wear .
It made some improvements to the acceleration and top end might be better but I like more the acceleration than high speed.
One day I will get round to putting the GP cylinder I have with a tighter fitting piston and new rings to replace the sloppy Jet one.
duncan1958

Postby L111amo » Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:31 pm

Thanks that’s what I’m after , accelerating
L111amo

Postby hullygully » Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:22 am

I'd try a remote filter on the 20mm first (presuming you have a std carb on?), mabes go up to 22mm, ditch the std air filter route, too many variables bud, like things in the toolbox fouling the air route.
hullygully

Postby Storkfoot » Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:03 pm

In the past I have run standard Jet 200 and Lynx 200 scooters. For some reason, as far as I can tell, the Spaniards deliberately down tuned the Italian 200 so I think you may well be disappointed with the performance even with a 30mm PHBH, for example. I doubt my Lynx 200 went much over 55mph, to be honest.

Earlier this year, I got hold of a very tired mid ‘70s Jet 200 engine. I remembered what the performance was like of the standard engine and, whilst I didn’t want an especially fast engine, I knew the standard engine was not what I wanted. I got the original barrel tuned to Stage 4 and fitted a 25 PHBL with a remote bgm filter (the one with the wider bellows) and an old Fresco exhaust.

I am still running it in and haven’t yet got the jetting absolutely right but it pulls well and has good acceleration. I’d guess the Fresco is roughly comparable to a bgm Clubman, performance wise.

If you are after good acceleration but not too concerned about, say, 5-8mph on your top speed, the standard Tutto mushroomless exhaust is a good call, in my opinion.
Last edited by Storkfoot on Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Storkfoot

Postby L111amo » Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:16 pm

Thanks for the replies, I tried a remote filter on the carb but it wouldn’t rev at all( jetting miles off I suppose) might go the stage 4 & 25mill carb
Got the 25 on my gp with a casa 186, it flies
L111amo

Return to Tuning & Kits