LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Vape Help

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

Vape Help

Postby avanti » Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:46 pm

Good afternoon every one , looking for some help please .
I am at the end of my rope with this engine , its a new build ( Harry Barlow ) details , Jet cylinder , Yam piston stroked 60 x 115 .
I am trying to fit a Vape and set the timing 18 BTDC ( TDC 25.5 mm )
my issue as the picture shows , is that when I line the back plate firing line with the firing line on the flange the fitting slots are way out of the mounting holes :-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/199328115@N03

what can I do ! , because at the moment its hovering over the scrap bin LOL
thank you in advance
KTF
Avanti
avanti

Re: Vape Help

Postby Storkfoot » Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:08 pm

https://fb.watch/nGm5L4WX1Q/

Have you watched the Cam Lam video on Facebook? If not, have a watch.

It just so happens, I have one of my engines out as I have been fitting a new crank. I now need to check TDC and 17 degrees static before I strobe it. They all need strobing in my experience.

For the time being, I have just put the stator back in the place it was before. As you can see, my centre line on the stator, which aligns with the firing point on the flywheel, also lines up with the “17” mark I made on the mag housing.

Does that help?
Storkfoot

Postby avanti » Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:25 pm

Hi Thanks for the prompt response , for sure I have seen the Camlam video , and had my stall set out for the simple task of , matching the firing marks and bolting down, strobe up and Hey Presto .
however when the lines match up its impossible to bolt the stator down as the placement of the stator means the slots no longer cover the mag flange holes .
it seems that the 25.5 mm gap between TDC and 18 degree is out of range for the back plate slots on the stator.
tks
Avanti
avanti

Postby Storkfoot » Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:26 pm

I can’t see your marks in your picture but, to me, your stator doesn’t look like it is aligned with 18 degrees.

All I can suggest is that you go back and check TDC and your 18 degree firing point.
Storkfoot

Postby nickw » Sat Oct 14, 2023 7:42 pm

Agree with above. Your timing mark (white mark) looks way out when the two photos are compared
nickw

Postby Knowledge » Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:06 pm

I always put a peg (dowell) in the fan so it can only go back on in the same position (otherwise I could be placed on the rotor in one of six different positions). I use a roller from a needle roller glues into the rotor as the locating dowell.

I fit the fan and put timing marks on the fan and mag flange . I then strobe it up in the traditional way.
Knowledge

Postby Storkfoot » Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:40 pm

Storkfoot wrote:I can’t see your marks in your picture but, to me, your stator doesn’t look like it is aligned with 18 degrees.

All I can suggest is that you go back and check TDC and your 18 degree firing point.

The picture I put up isn’t as a direct comparison. My crank is not the same as yours.

Please let us know how you get on though. Good luck :)

On the subject if strobing. I have now set up four static Vapes. Only on one occasion did the strobe verify that the static marks were correct. The other three required adjustment.
Storkfoot

Postby avanti » Wed Oct 18, 2023 5:49 pm

thank you for all the comments , the white mark looks out of alignment but it is the way the picture was taken.

I worry that the 60x115 crank Yam piston assembly may be so unusual as the render the vape out of adjustment on this set up.

KTF
avanti

Postby Storkfoot » Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:03 pm

avanti wrote:thank you for all the comments , the white mark looks out of alignment but it is the way the picture was taken.

I worry that the 60x115 crank Yam piston assembly may be so unusual as the render the vape out of adjustment on this set up.

KTF

One of the ones I set up, on a GP since sold, was a 58/115 crank. That set up okay at a static 17 or 18.

Have you checked your TDC again yet?
Storkfoot

Postby avanti » Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:27 pm

Hi every one , apologies but basic error on my part, and a considerable lack of talent.
I was using the existing marks from previous ignition , Dhoo , understand i need to make new ones with the vape flywheel.
will have a go at the WE
tks
Avanti
avanti

Return to Tuning & Kits