LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Layshaft. Casa or Bgm

Need help with a tuning kit, how do you tune your scooter, which kit should I choose, and all general tuning and modifcations questions are for in here.

Layshaft. Casa or Bgm

Postby johnnyjarvis » Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:02 pm

Renewing bottom end and looking for opinions on casa and bgm layshafts. Was leaning toward casa because there’s a casa
Gearbox going in there .
Last edited by johnnyjarvis on Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnnyjarvis

Re: Layshaft. Casa or Bgm

Postby Storkfoot » Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:16 pm

I can’t answer your question but, having compared a Casa one that I bought with one of the MEC/EUR Italian ones, I’d be amazed if they weren’t made in the same factory.

Matching non original sliding dogs with gearboxes and non original layshafts is difficult, in my experience.
Storkfoot

Postby gizmo » Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:29 pm

Storkfoot wrote:I can’t answer your question but, having compared a Casa one that I bought with one of the MEC/EUR Italian ones, I’d be amazed if they weren’t made in the same factory.

Matching non original sliding dogs with gearboxes and non original layshafts is difficult, in my experience.
Do you reckon it's best to try and use all the parts from same manufacturer or don't any particularly match up anyway
gizmo

Postby Storkfoot » Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:30 pm

gizmo wrote:
Storkfoot wrote:I can’t answer your question but, having compared a Casa one that I bought with one of the MEC/EUR Italian ones, I’d be amazed if they weren’t made in the same factory.

Do you reckon it's best to try and use all the parts from same manufacturer or don't any particularly match up anyway

Not necessarily. MEC/EUR sliding dogs matched with MEC/EUR layshafts have involved me getting both sliding dogs and layshafts machined at a local engineers.

I haven’t tried a bgm or MB layshaft.
Storkfoot

Postby ULC Soulagent » Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:42 am

Having used all types ( bgm/ mb / mec / casa ) I haven’t found anything untowards in the using of different components bar the 5 speed boxes where it’s highly recommended that you use the same layshaft for said same gearbox, ie mb 5 speed with mb shaft, Af 5 speed with their shaft’s, casa performance 5 speed with their layshafts and so on.
ULC Soulagent

Postby GP Kevo » Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:38 pm

I use an MB layshaft in a SIL GP200 engine case for my TS1. It's using an Italian Li 150 gearbox, MB gear selector and recently a new SIL endplate. I've run an Innocenti 4 plate clutch, an AF 5 plate clutch and now an MB 6 plate with no fitment problems. The only issue I had with the MB layshaft was having to dremel out the hole for the balls and selector spring, there was a burr inside probably left from machining it during production. I've got money down on an MB 5 speed, just waiting for availability and my checking account to match up.

If I buy a Casa case, I'll probably use Casa components. Touring with and trying to keep up with my mate on his very reliable SSR 265 has convinced me that their components are decent quality. I guess I'm trying to say if you can, to use matching parts if possible.
GP Kevo

Postby Speedy Hufton » Fri Oct 27, 2023 3:57 pm

Probably not helping here but have yer not considered the AF Rayspeed hi spec layshaft? They do a standard length ie 4 speed and one slightly longer for 5 speeds. Excellent quality and half the price. Hope that's not hindered. I got one in my s type with close 5 speed box and it's great. I also have an MB racetour in another gp. I bought that off a friend new as it didn't fit with his cyclone v3? box. Cheers, Speedy.
Speedy Hufton

Return to Tuning & Kits